Cellphone as a GPS

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
Anyone using a cellphone in place of a GPS. Considering buying one of those Rugged cell phone from Takealot and using it as GPS. Will it be any better than say a XT , are they glove friendly etc?

I know you can use many diffrent GPS apps to suit what type of riding you doing etc....

Gerard

Teelhond
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR 800S Big
The speedo on my bike packed up. I bought a bicycle speedo app for R29.00 that does everything. Wrks on GPS etc.

Puls0nic

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I have been using my main phone exclusively for GPS. Mostly Google maps for normal driving, but used OSMand for dirt roads, and tried out maps.me as well. I eventually been using DMDv2 as that makes it convenient to record GPX tracks but also import GPX tracks from other sources, whilst also showing your speed, altitude and stuff like that.

It is recommended NOT to use your main phone for GPS on your bike, as the rattling can damage your camera, and I lost my phone aswell just on Saturday by having it flung off when I hit a bump (which normally has never been a problem).

Using a rugged phone is a good idea, but you still may not be able to charge it when it is raining heavily, but usually it is the gloves that need to be touch screen capable, rather than the phone. I use flexible MTB gloves for this with good results.

ClimbingTurtle

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
As per @Puls0nic - I have used a iPhone as a GPS for years - I use MapSource or Basecamp to plan routes, can also use GoogleMaps, then ransfer them to MapOut (paid around R70 for it) and it works without cell signal - its a pretty good platform. But as mentioned, cell phones dont like the vibrations of off-road riding, tar seems to be fine, so I either put it in a clear cover on a tank-bag (they can easily overheat tho) or stop now & then and look at it.......
I also run a eTrex 30x on the bike, but more to record routes, as the screen is small....

Daffyd

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
DMD2 is great, maps is pretty good plus you can controll media etc from the app

Exploratio

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL1000V Varadero
DMD2 is great, maps is pretty good plus you can controll media etc from the app
Did you pay for the maps feature?
Been trying it for a while, but after the app has been running for an hour, displaying the map, it tells me the maps feature needs to be paid.
Other than that, it is an awesome app. Especially if you use the rally trip meter.

Puls0nic

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Been trying it for a while, but after the app has been running for an hour, displaying the map, it tells me the maps feature needs to be paid.
Other than that, it is an awesome app. Especially if you use the rally trip meter.
I haven't paid for the map feature. I just exit that and carry on using the map feature. If DMD2 becomes my main adventure bike app I may pay for it

Grunder

Auburn Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
I use Locus maps, paid version.

Works well. The only gripe I have with it, is that it does not have a "Basemap" function for the pc to work on. All route planning needs to be done on the phone. Other than that, it's a very good app.

Exploratio

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL1000V Varadero
I use Locus maps, paid version.

Works well. The only gripe I have with it, is that it does not have a "Basemap" function for the pc to work on. All route planning needs to be done on the phone. Other than that, it's a very good app.
It does read GPX files. Planning on computer and export GPX.
Locus maps imports it. But, I have notyet used said gpx file to navigate. I just follow the line.

Daffyd

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Ther is a trial period before you buy so I gave it a try then its like 60bucks for 3 months. Its a very basic map feature. I do my planning on GAIA (great free maps app) then load it into DMD. Its still in it dev stage. Eats your battery so best keep your phone plugged in. I just like the app clear design and ease of media control. Can't control media on maps unfortunately. It you just want a good map app with easy route planning give Gaia a try

punisher

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
a question from a doff friend ............... does the cell phone need a sim card if used only as a GPS ????

Puls0nic

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
a question from a doff friend ............... does the cell phone need a sim card if used only as a GPS ????
No, it doesn't but it the A-GPS does use cell towers (the sim) to get a faster and more accurate fix.

Andrew_Smith

Pack Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Following this.

What would be a good rugged phone to go for without breaking the bank?

Of course, you want something that won't freeze (CPU power-wise) and something with decent battery life. Camera quality is not applicable since you will use your main phone/GoPro for the pictures.

Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
I've just done this excercise and it turned out to cost a lot more than I first thought. I bought an Oukitel WP 10 that is rugged, water and drop proof (from a lofty 1.5m ha ha) and has a big battery. It also has a Glove mode that works well. The issue I had was that firstly it is heavy, heavier than a GPS and will test out your mount off road. The other problem is that the phone is longer, wider and most notably a lot thicker than the average phone. This leads to a problem with getting a suitable holder for your bike.
I spent some bucks on a RAM mount PDA holder with the attachments to fit to my Super Ten's nav bar. Unfortunately the holder was now too big for the phone.
Anyway in the end I had a 7" Tablet, put that in the holder, 3d printed a couple of extra brackets to secure it really well and I use that with Locus.

Exploratio

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL1000V Varadero
Bike-specific GPS units remain the best option, finish en klaar.

BUT......

If Garmin, which has the lion's share of the market, just pull its collective head out of it's ass and read and think, things can be different. Basic software upgrades will do, thank you very much. No need for us users to re-invent the wheel every time. Phones were not designed to take the hammering of off-road navigation. What they bring to the table is functionality, easily transferrable to GPS units via simple software upgrades. Open up your platform to use apps and third-party software, Garmin. Rant over:cool::cool:

@UggieB (https://www.rallyrampage.com/) is doing a lot of work on mobile phone-based navigation with instruction and training and the development of hardware.

Grunder

Auburn Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
I often used my phone for navigation, and on most days they work fine. I was traveling to the Clarens Bash last year. planned my route perfectly on my phone and off I went. 50km later it started raining on and off for the whole day. I was listening to instructions from my phone in my pocket :(

I bought a smallish GPS (Garmin Etrex 20x). Different process altogether, but... I ride comfortable now in any weather.