Chase the last 4 stages of the Dakar 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBull2007

Bachelor Dog
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Im looking for a riding partner to chase the last 4 legs of the Dakar. If you can get to Peru/Bolivia I can help whoever organise a bike (either by buying or renting 650-800-990 maybe) then we do it.

My plan is currently as follows: To ride my 800GS to Uyuni in Southern Bolivia late Nov, I happen to be managing a mine out that way so I will be leaving the bike there over Christmas. Around the 5th January, I plan to fly to La Paz, and then connect through to Uyuni.

Alternatively I can blast down the Pan American with "AN Other" down to Arica on or around the 5th; but it will be more fun doing our own mini Dakar from Uyuni across this...........

uyuni-mirror.jpg

BTW this is on the progam for Dakar 2013....

and then through this..........

lagunaVERDE.jpg

Before dropping down into the Atacama Desert to meet the Dakar boys slaving on their own journey north through the desert back to Lima.

The plan is then to get up early (04h30) and blast through on a combination of dirt and hard top to stay with and slightly ahead of the mass of vehicles following the Dakar route. The stages in Peru will be MIND BLOWING, I ride here and believe me its going to be awesome to watch.

Anyway just to stay with the Dakar I will need to riding around 600-900km/day so it is going to be quite trip in its own right. The trip from Uyuni I plan to start on or about the 10th Jan. Interested? Well before you put your hand up, consider the options (in Arequipa, Lima or La Paz):

1) Get to Peru. This currently costs around R14,000 return (the best economy connection is SAA JNB to Buenos Aires then LAN to Lima, no visas needed for any countries), AND

2) Rent a bike - Not easy to do at all, because bikes are not really availible, but obviously the preferrable route. -OR-

2) Buy a bike and re sell it afterwards - You will need about R70,000 in cash if you want something decent, but I will hopefully find some bikes for a bit less. Of course you will put about 4-5,000km on the bike, but if you look after it you should be able to recover the money easily enough. Whatever is needed is going to have to have some grunt to do this kind of trip though, so I do not recommend anything less than 650cc.

Then its just a matter of discussing whether we should blast down the highway for three days or meet up somewhere like at Uyuni. :deal To do that from Peru I reckon you will need another 4-5days from Lima, 3 days from Arequipa, or 1 long day from La Paz. Accommodation and food here is really cheap. If you are able to make it to Bolivia, I will cover all your food & accommodation costs there, and you could shack up with us in Lima as well.

Should be a trip to talk to your grandkids about.

If you're still genuinely interested and have the money for this kind of trip, PM me please.