Chilled Swazi again with the Bonafide Boys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadhawg

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
I copy and pasted this from a general motoring forum I'm on.
(The Bonafide guys put on these trips, very chilled, not hardcor riding. Many guys come on Triumph Scramblers and even regular Bonnevilles often)

A jol as usual.

JHB-Kaapschehoop for Lunch.  Fast dirt forest rd across to Barberton (Picked up a puncture, plugged at the gas station quick....Held the rest of the trip thank Buddha).
hAPERu4.jpg

ejkkxdl.jpg

Barberton to Bulembu (Possibly one of the best roads in the country! Absolutely epic. One of those roads you need A). A Supermoto bike. B). Need to ride twice in a row. Once to hoon and once to just enjoy the views. )
VU39pgR.jpg

tnwSezd.jpg

Bulembu for the night. Weird kind of abandoned town that is now owned by the church, so no booze anywhere.....We bring our own :mrgreen:

Friday.
Bulembu to Piggs Peak.  Some guys moan about this road but it's absolutely the perfect road for the 1290. Bit rough in the beginning but then it starts twisting up and over the mountains and opens into fast dirt sweeps. Last year I HAMMERED that section but this year I decided to chill and enjoy the views. Also waited at the rougher sections to help a novice lady rider who was with us.  Epic views.
qV9H39b.jpg

ak7IUoo.jpg

Lunch for the day was to be at Maguga dam which was only like 20/30kms away so we did a big dirt detour instead of heading straight there.  The "MR2" dirt section, again absolute heaven on the 1290.  I waited a few times for the novice lady but realised the tour mechanic and support vehicle were right behind her so she was gonna be fine.  I now had the whole section to myself with no dust.  Didn't hammer it but road at a comfy 80-90, stopping to take some pics now and then.  That was for sure my favourite riding of the whole trip.
xKDEn1H.jpg

The section back to the dam is pretty, but a lot rougher, lots of pot-holes and washout ruts. Just as you get going you slam into something.  I actually managed to bottom out the front end of the 1290 for the first time ever on a rut I didn't see in some shade.  But all good.  Stopped for a jump in the Komati river.  We didn't get eaten by crocodiles but I recon we all have Ebola now probably.
YBBy5KF.jpg

Stayed in the Backpackers at Hawane...converted old stables. Pretty dodgy but it'll do.
b4GQvfs.jpg

Saturday.
Hawane to Mlilwane.  We backtracked and did an optional extended route from the day before.  Absolutely amazing scenery but my head just wasn't in it, (I blame a lot of home made rum from the night before :x ).  Everything was just arriving a split second sooner than I was expecting and I nothing felt smooth.  I slowed right down and just enjoyed the views.  One section was just Mountain -  Valley - Mountain - Valley for about 40kms.  Very nearly went off a bridge after a tight, sandy hairpin :lol:    Great scenery, but I just wanted to get to lunch and out of the heat that day.
qY56nRq.jpg

MVe1cD3.jpg

Chilled ride rest of the day to Mlilwane to chill with copious amounts of beer and the Warthogs.
dvVNibp.jpg

Bho9gGA.jpg

Long road home Sunday.
YHWw7Xm.jpg

(I can highly recommend the trips with these guys.  They get sponsorship so the cost is actually really low for what you get. )