Coolant pump gear failure - overexaggerated or a myth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lecap

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Lots of claims about the failure - or non failure - of the coolant pump gears of the F650 single engine have been going around.

The most wide spread myth is probably that the failures were limited to some early single spark F650GS models.

The picture below shows a coolant pump gear pulled out of a twin spark Dakar next to a brand new one. Fortunately the coolant pump had started leaking badly. The odometer reads km 57,413
I don' think this would have made the 60,000km service.

I have done a few coolant pump gear sets on F650's already. They were spread out evenly between single spark and twin spark models with the common denominator being the odometers of the bikes reading between 50,000 and 70,000km at failure.
I don't want to claim this to be statistic evidence because I don't have fixed sufficient numbers of failures but I would say it looks suspiciously like a pattern.

Lesson learned:
Once your F650's coolant pump starts leaking order and replace the two plastic gears driving the pump too. They are inexpensive in comparison with the rest of the parts needed for the coolant pump repair.

Attachments

• BMWF650002.jpg
    BMWF650002.jpg
    72.3 KB

Latest posts