Correct cold starting procedure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davezee001

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR125L
I grew up understanding that one should allow a cold engine to idle for about 5 minutes before driving off.
However, over the last decade or so, I've read quite a number of technical motoring articles to the contrary.
Here's a copy/paste from one of many Google searches:
"Today’s modern vehicles use electronic fuel injectors that can detect cold weather and will release extra gasoline into the gas-air mix to compensate for the evaporation problem. That means the engine should be ready to go as soon as it begins running. So by idling your car, you’re just releasing extra gas into your engine without getting any use out of it.
Two consequences of this are wasted fuel and increased pollution. Perhaps even more surprisingly, you’ll actually increase damage to your engine by doing this. That’s because the extra unevaporated gas in the mix will strip the oils from the inside of your engine, decreasing lubrication and increasing the wear and tear on its parts."
Suggested idling times as per different internet articles vary from, once started it's ready to run, to 30 - 60 seconds or a little longer if your car is covered in snow.
I've read that most engine wear occurs while an engine is cold, so it's best to allow it to reach its operating temperature as soon as possible.
My son is a qualified motorcycle mechanic and he prefers to allow his F 800GS to idle for a minute or 2 before riding off in the mornings.
My neighbour allows his Yamaha 650 Dragstar to idle for about 10 minutes "because it stalled on a bend and my wife and I hit the tar".
My daily commuter, an XR150, requires full choke for about 10 secs, before I can ride off slowly on the half choke setting for about one km, before switching off the choke and riding normally.
What are your thoughts?