Costs coming from incomplete service at BMW dealer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Costs coming from incomplete service at BMW dealer

Hi guys

My BMW dealer is charging me R2,000 for the replacement of a V-belt and battery that died as a result of the V-belt breaking. The V-belt drives the alternator that feeds the battery. This happened at 67,000km while the belt was scheduled for replacement at 40,000 and then only again on 80,000.

At the 40,000km service I did not own the bike yet, and the previous owner took it to the same dealer. But the service records show that the V-belt was NOT replaced and no reason is given why not.

My argument is that I cannot be held responsible for this cost as I was not negligent in not replacing the V-belt at the prescribed time. The negligence either was on the part of the previous owner or the service agent that performed a partial service, without recording a reason why the V-belt was not replaced.

The dealer argues that I simply have to pay the costs as they cannot take responsibility for what may or may not have been done to the bike before I owned it. I don’t agree, but perhaps I am wrong.

Can anyone offer perspective that might sway my opinion.

KR