Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Ruans

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi Guys,

Seeing as I just got a new scooter (upgraded from a F800 GSA to R1200 GSA LC) I thought I would put it to a proper test and ride it from Cape Town to JHB.
I am planning two days for the ride with pillion but, thought I would ask the people here if there are any interesting routes to take instead of the N1 all the way. I am still new to the bike and not doing dirt just yet but, at the same time, sticking to the N1 might get a bit boring. Any suggested detours, places to stay or places to see?

Planned date for the ride up is 23 and 24 dec and returning around the 28/29th.

iamgigglz

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Two days doesn't leave much room for exploring.
I took three nights to go Franschoek -> Knysna (Diepwalle forest) -> P.E. -> Bloem -> Joburg. Very relaxed. <700km/day.

ClimbingTurtle

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
2 days N1 is still 700km/day - stopping every hour, thats still a good 8-9 hours riding, doesnt leave too much time to wander off looking for alternative roads.....

Long days in the saddle, you will get bored and tired, you will need to stop every hour just to move around, refocus the mind etc......

Good Luck with the ride, it will be great fun any way you decide to go!

Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
When I travel alone tank range determines stops.

When Heather goes along her bladder range determines stops.

Colesberg is close to half way and has good accommodation.

From Colesberg you can either go Graaff Reinet, Mossel Bay to Cape Town or continue N1 to Beaufort West then swing south on the N12 to De Rust via Meiringspoort and Oudshoorn to Mossel Bay via the Robinson pass.

From Oudshoorn you can also take the R62 to Ladismith, Barrydale etc etc and stop at Ronnies Sex Shop

Just be aware that there is a 120km/h average speed enforcement effectively from Three Sisters to De Doorns, this is a good reason to not do this route.

IanC

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
When I travel alone tank range determines stops.

When Heather goes along her bladder range determines stops.

Colesberg is close to half way and has good accommodation.

From Colesberg you can either go Graaff Reinet, Mossel Bay to Cape Town or continue N1 to Beaufort West then swing south on the N12 to De Rust via Meiringspoort and Oudshoorn to Mossel Bay via the Robinson pass.

From Oudshoorn you can also take the R62 to Ladismith, Barrydale etc etc and stop at Ronnies Sex Shop

Just be aware that there is a 120km/h average speed enforcement effectively from Three Sisters to De Doorns, this is a good reason to not do this route.
Hi Guys,

Seeing as I just got a new scooter (upgraded from a F800 GSA to R1200 GSA LC) I thought I would put it to a proper test and ride it from Cape Town to JHB.
I am planning two days for the ride with pillion but, thought I would ask the people here if there are any interesting routes to take instead of the N1 all the way. I am still new to the bike and not doing dirt just yet but, at the same time, sticking to the N1 might get a bit boring. Any suggested detours, places to stay or places to see?

Planned date for the ride up is 23 and 24 dec and returning around the 28/29th.
2 days is not enough time with a pillion. 3 days minimum. If you dont want to do n1 go n7 to Van Rhyns dorp, then turn off to Britstown, Kimberley, Jhb. Can be hot in December so take lots of fluids.

Ruans

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Thanks everyone.
Looking at options. Not sure what our endurance will be on this trip but we will do a few trips before then to determine. I unfortunately only have two days to ride up and possibly 3 days coming back.
Will split the first part in half and sleep over half way. Coming back, we might go via Upington and take three days.

Ruans

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Thanks all for the replies,
We have determined that 1:45 - 2:00 stops seem to be the sweet spot on the R1200. On my previous F800, we did 1:00 legs so definitely an improvement. Yesterday we took a trip from Plattekloof to Langebaan via Malmesbury and Hopefield and did not need to stop there or back.
The wind was howling yesterday with a headwind most of the time and we coped just fine.
So plan for my Trip up to JHB seeing as we can only leave on the 23rd, is to leave early morning and ride to Gariepdam area (accommodation depending) and stay over for the night. Will plan my stops at around every 1:30 - 2:00.
24th another early morning departure to JHB and try route past the Vaal Dam and possibly stop there for a lunch. Still checking around for road conditions as I seem to remember some of the roads there have 4 bedroom size potholes. Otherwise, we will stick to the N1 as we need to arrive at my folks place before Christmas.
Routing back to Cape Town, we will try add in an additional day as I would like to route via Upington but, have not decided yet.

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
Just remember the highways are very busy and it is the festive season. Truck will be there too
You need to concentrate a lot especially between Colesberg and Kroonstad.

Fuzzy Muzzy

Bachelor Dog
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
We have determined that 1:45 - 2:00 stops seem to be the sweet spot on the R1200. On my previous F800, we did 1:00 legs so definitely an improvement. Yesterday we took a trip from Plattekloof to Langebaan via Malmesbury and Hopefield and did not need to stop there or back.
The wind was howling yesterday with a headwind most of the time and we coped just fine.
So plan for my Trip up to JHB seeing as we can only leave on the 23rd, is to leave early morning and ride to Gariepdam area (accommodation depending) and stay over for the night. Will plan my stops at around every 1:30 - 2:00.
24th another early morning departure to JHB and try route past the Vaal Dam and possibly stop there for a lunch. Still checking around for road conditions as I seem to remember some of the roads there have 4 bedroom size potholes. Otherwise, we will stick to the N1 as we need to arrive at my folks place before Christmas.
Routing back to Cape Town, we will try add in an additional day as I would like to route via Upington but, have not decided yet.

I was about to say.. the wind was pumping this weekend. IMO if you going to do this trip , push for that extra day, you will not regret it.

JohnB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Stop at Deneysville for a selfie at the dam wall.

Have lunch here:
or

Enjoy the ride and be safe.

EtienneBnk

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Long days in the saddle, you will get bored and tired, you will need to stop every hour just to move around, refocus the mind etc......
Bored maybe but most likely not tired. I find that I can do two hours and longer easily.

Amsterdam

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
You could consider couriering your bike to Joburg and then take 5 days to meander back. This opens up more options.

Jacobsroodt

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
I did preciseley this with my first F800GS in 2011.
I flew up, collected the bike and took 3 days to ride down, north of the N1. Included was some gravel to friends' farm in the Carnarvon area. This was my intro to Adventure Riding!☺

Ruans

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Stop at Deneysville for a selfie at the dam wall.

Have lunch here:
or

Enjoy the ride and be safe.
Spent a lot of time there when I was younger so it is on my stop list.

Ruans

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
You could consider couriering your bike to Joburg and then take 5 days to meander back. This opens up more options.
The riding is part of the experience. I have never done a cpt - jhb - cpt trip so a bit of a bucket-list item to say I have done it.

I have done a cpt - cradock ride for a one day hunting trip and is the farthest I have gone. Was also in the middle of winter but, was doable on a F800. The R1200 would have been a breeze.

So far my mind is set to leave early morning on the 23rd and ride to Colesberg/Gariep for the night. Next morning early departure with the vaal a detour and following my old bike riding routes to where I need to be. A bit of a memory lane trip.