Dakar Thermostat removed - now cannot believe the power!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
I've done two things to my Dakar recently (Dakar 2000 model) -

I replaced the battery.
I removed the thermostat.

What I can't believe now is the power the bike now has!

An example - yesterday on the way to work I stopped at a traffic light, the car next to me is edging forward in great revs, and jerks using the brakes and I get nervous, so I set myself to leave rapidly so as not to have to deal with jerkface.

Lo! and behold the front wheel lifts up to get the bike to a 45 degree angle and i whizz across the intersection on one wheel.  :eek: On the other side the wheel (thankfully) drops, then takes off again, this time a little lower.

Now you've got to understand - I've never wheelied in my life before!  ::)  ??? And I've even posted on this forum asking how one does it? ???

Now can one of you merry gentlefolk tell me which change did this. Does a new battery make that much difference? Or did removing the thermostat?

As a matter of interest, the bike starts instantly and runs well, so it doesn't look like it needs the thermostat. Is not having a thermostat bad for the bike?

A greatly impressed Inglsman!