Die Hel / Gamkaskloof and Ons Karoo Plaas, 20-23 January 2023

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultraflight

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
This was my Sixth ride from Cape Town to Die Hell in 10 months.

Being January, it was difficult to get a full compliment of 8 for this ride, to fill the 8 beds at the Safari Bush Camp in Die Hel.
Back To Work after the holidays, made it difficult for some to take leave.
Some were battling with the first few days of kids Back To School.

I think the biggest problem was the guys waiting for January Payday, after all the Christmas and holiday expenses leaving them a bit broke. Its not called Januworry for nothing.

Anyway, we eventually had Five guys listed to go. Chris, Clayton, Paul, Craig and Keith (myself).

On the morning of departure, Craig could not find his keys. So I suggested that when he does eventually find them, to take the N1 to either meet us at Touwsrivier Petroport, or if we are not there, to continue on the N1 to Laingsburg and go directly to Ons Karoo Plaas which is between Laingsburg and Seweweekspoort. He eventually departed at 11am but just past the Huguenot Tunnel, his chain snapped and cracked the crankcase. So he had to arrange a trailer to head back home.

And then we were Four.

The rest of us enjoyed a Breakfast Bun and coffee at Hillbilly Farm Stall just before Ceres, then topped up tanks in Ceres, before proceeding via the Swaarmoed passes to Karoo Poort.

Chris had some issue with work, so he opted to take the tar road to Touwsrivier to make some calls, while the remaining three of us went via the Southern Tankwa Transit. We came across a security company bakkie stranded with a trashed back wheel. The two African guys were unable to remove the security nut on the wheel, as it had been over-tightened (probably with an impact driver) and the special security socket was completely stripped. They had already been in the hot sun for over an hour. After using my Garmin inReach satellite communicator to send their location to their foreman, I gave them my 750ml bottle of ice-cold semi-frozen water, then we proceeded past Perdekraal Wind Farm to Pienaarspoort and Touwsrivier where we rejoined with Chris.

After refreshments, we rode via Witwaterspoort and the Witteberge road that never dissapoints. We stopped at the summit of Varsbokkraal Pass for a break and photos. Next stop was at the elevated viewsite, 4km before Ons Karoo Plaas where we overnighted.

Christo was away on business, but Ann was a gracious host as always. We were the only transient guests, plus one couple who are long-term guests, working on a nearby farm. Lekker braai dinner and chatting till almost midnight around the fire.

Saturday morning, Chris’ bike would not switch on at all. Many calls to KTM to try diagnose the problem, who said they would send a techie in the van with an ECU computer. So off we went to breakfast 6km away at Dirt Road Cafe, with Chris riding pillion on my 800GS.

I always order their Schnitzel Stackers for everyone, its a pleasant change from the traditional bacon and eggs. Two chicken schnitzels, bacon, a pineapple ring, some guacamole and a cherry tomato, all stacked on top of each other, with cheese-dribbled chips in an aluminium foil bowl on the side. We wrap the left-overs in the foil to take along as padkos.

After dropping Chris off after breakfast back at Ons Karoo Plaas, we arranged that if he could get his bike running, to take the faster tar road to meet us at Kobus Se Gat at the base of Swartberg Pass, while we take the slower Groenfontein / Kruisrivier road.

Seweweekspoort was awesone as usual. We made a brief stop at the Amalienstein /Tierkloof Dam, then went through Zoar and Opzoek to stop at Frikkie Se Gat for refreshments. After a high speed run through the tar Huisrivier Pass to Calitzdorp for fuel, we enjoyed a very relaxed pace through the Groenfontein Valley to the turnoff at Kruisrivier towards the Swartberg.

Stopping at Kobus Se Gat for refreshments, we read on our WhatsApp group that Chris’ bike was a no-go and he was returning with them in the van. Quite a disappointment for us.

And then we were three.

A fire had been raging on the Swartberg Pass which had been closed to traffic, but it had opened up just before we departed Cape Town. By the time we got there, there was no smoke or any sign of fire, however the black burnt stretches were extensive on the Southern side, with smaller patches over the top and a smallish patch around the approach road into Die Hell, known as Otto du Plessis Road.

This was my Sixth time into Die Hell in 10 months and the road was in the worst condition of those 6 trips. The first 12km is rather bumpy with lots of exposed and loose rocks. Then it gets better, but you still need to scan far ahead to pick a good line to avoid the ruts and holes. The Elands Pass which is the final steep descent into the valley, is quite broken up in places, especially on the steeper sections and the very tight hairpin bends that have not been concreted. We suspect its after the high traffic loads from the December holidays that caused most of the damage. Going downhill was slow going and I was thinking that coming back uphill the next day, was going to be an exciting challenge…

In the bottom of the valley, the sand was a lot less than expected, except for one longish stretch where I was catching up with the bike ahead of me, hoping the sand would end soon and he could then accelerate, but alas he started fishtailing quite badly and I had to slow down. My back brake was not having enough effect, so I had to add some front brake which immediately caused the front wheel to dig in, twist, and down I went. No biggie, but damn, the 800GSA is way too bloody heavy to pick up. I had to wait for help to arrive, otherwise I would have had to take off all the luggage. I regretted filling the tank in Calitzdorp, as I had more than enough to reach Prince Albert the next day, however it is wise not to take a chance in case of extra distance for whatever reason.

We arrived at the farm stall on Fontein Guest Farm and rested in the shade while enjoying some cold drinks. Paul asked if they could supply some chilled prickly pears with our braaivleis. After giving them a list of drinks to deliver to our camp, we saddled up and completed the last 700 meters to go settle in.

We were chilling in the shade at the camp when they arrived to deliver everything we had ordered. Four bags of firewood, two bags of ice, beers, Cokes, bottled water, 2 lamb chops each, two pieces of wors each, two pieces of chicken each, a greek salad, and a huge bowl of prickly pears that had been peeled, cut in half and chilled. Absolutely delicious, as good as ice-cream to cool down.

We had a great braai but the meat was as usual, way too much and we left much of it uneaten.

After breakfast at the farmstall and settling our drinks tabs, we headed out of Die Hel. The climb up Elands Pass was not as bad as expected, however I had an oopsie when my front wheel dislodged a large rock which diverted my bike towards the rock wall on the left and I was forced to stop, with my front wheel in the gutter at the base of the wall, followed by a slow topple over against the wall. My left foot was trapped and I could not move from there. It was at a very steep uphill section and I feared that if the bike rolled back, my leg would be injured. Fortunately Clayton was up ahead and within intercom range, so I called him to come help. He parked and walked down to me.

It was a real battle to lift the bike just enough for my foot to be released. Then with both of us trying, we battled to get the bike upright, as we could not get on the left side and had to pull from the right side. Eventually we got it upright but it was too steep and loose to get enough traction to ride it out from there. So we removed all the luggage to lighten the load, then I walked alongside using the motor while Clayton pushed from behind. We could go only a few inches at a time but eventually we crested the steep part onto a concrete section. We were just about to put the luggage back on, when Paul arrived. He had waited at the top of the pass for us and eventually realised we were not coming up, so he came down to help.

We rode another few minutes to the first shade and took a break to cool down. It was already 28C so early in the morning!

The rest of the exit was uneventful, though the two bigger water crossings were fun, and a welcome relief to get splashed wet against the increasing heat.

We stopped at the Prince Albert Bush Pub for refreshments (Rock Shandies and Steel-Works), filled our tanks, pumped up tyres, and headed out. The original plan was to bypass the extremely sandy Eastern end of the Floriskraal Gates road (the notorious Hekke Pad), by riding to the N1 then exiting at the Western access to Vergenoegd Farm.
However, just before the turnoff from the N1, we took a break under the thatched shade structure at a roadside picnic spot and decided it was too hot and too late in the day to tackle the Floriskraal farm roads, so we kept on the N1 to Laingsburg and stopped at the Wimpy for cold milkshakes.

There we bumped into two other adv riders on their way out, who were heading towards Seweweekspoort and one mentioned that he had 7 plugs in a brand new tyre to try seal a cut. We offered a tube, but he said no, he will manage without.
After resting, we continued towards Ons Karoo Plaas and on Rooinek Pass, we saw the same two guys in a layby, pumping up the rear tyre that was losing pressure. They were using a tiny compressor that I reckoned would be rather slow.
Again we offered them a tube, but they said it was not needed. I invited them to stop on their way at OKP and join us for a cold beer.
I explained the road via Rouxpos was only a slight detour for them, but adds an interesting section that bypasses the boring gravel highway they would normally take.

Arriving at OKP, we immediately dug into some ice cold drinks even before getting out of our boots.

The two guys we met, eventually arrived. Schalk from Mossel Bay and Eugene from PE. They had originally planned to overnight at a farm just before Seweweekspoort, but ended up staying with us at OKP.

We discovered they had no tyre irons or spare tubes with them, thinking that tubeless tyres could just be plugged, but not considering that such a tear would need more serious intervention. Between the Five of us we had no bead-breakers (mine got lost when a tool-tube broke off my KTM), but we had enough tyre levers to work the bead off with a bit of effort.

I put a large gaiter over the tear, but upon pumping up the tyre, it leaked through the original tear still. So off the tyre came again and we fitted a tube, which did the trick. In future, I shall always ensure there is a tube in to press the gaiter against the tyre, as the rubber cement does not seem to be enough to secure it.

They made it back to George like that without further problems.

Ann made a great Lamb potjie for our dinner and we ended up chatting around the fire till well after midnight.

Monday morning all five went to Dirt Road Cafe for breakfast, then us three parted ways with the two guys heading to George.

Our first stop was at the rest camp in Anysberg Reserve, where we sat at a picnic table under shady trees. The lady from the office asked us to spread the word, that though bikes are welcome to ride through the reserve (for free), however if we stop to use any of their facilities, we need to get a day-visitor permit at R50 each. This would then give us access to their nice clean toilets, the swimming pool, wifi at the office, and the well maintained picnic facilities under the trees. Quite a reasonable request, being a Cape Nature reserve.

From there, an easy ride to Ouberg Pass, then we diverted through Joubertspoort into Montagu, which was a first for both Clayton and Paul.

Pumped tyres in Montagu then headed out to Robertson for milkshakes at the Wimpy. We then left the tar at the Eilandia turnoff to ride via Bloubankies, without bothering to air down tyres. That road is a gravel highway in good condition and we could safely do 120kph in places.

A quick stop in Rawsonville, then over DuToitskloof Pass, to end up at Winelands Engen for final goodbyes.

All in all a great ride, despite being such a small group of only three for most of the way.

We saw giraffe near Kruisrivier, a few troops of Gemsbok in Anysberg, some Klipspringers on Elands Pass.

February and early March is likely to be a bit too hot, so I’ll plan the next tour to Die Hel for Late March or April. Maximum 8 persons due to accommodation limitations in Die Hel.

Let me know if you would be interested to join. I have already started a list.

Its a special place that must be done by everyone, and the best way is on a bike.

Some photos to follow.