Diesel injectors and few other questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Morning

I need some advice. My bakkie, KB300 D-teq has about 280k on the clock. It has only had normal services and never gave problems, but recently feels a little pap. Mostly when the engine is cold. The idle also feels a bit more vibraty than what it used to feel (for a diesel).

So I spoke to my local mechanic and his first thought was glow plugs, but I replaced those in December and noticed no change.

His second thought was maybe the injectors need to be tested and said that my bakkie probably smokes. But here is the thing, I have never noticed that my bakkie smokes. I always try to floor it when someone drives behind me with lights on to see if it smokes, but I cant say that it does. There also seems to be no soot on the back of the bakkie and I don't wash it that often. So do I need to have the injectors out to get it tested. The mechanic mentioned a price of around R800 per injector just to test it. That does not include the labour. Also what happens when they do pick up that one it bad? can the tips be replaced or something?

I then asked him about the tappets in my bakkie (they are not hydraulic). The service manual only states that they need to be inspected. I am not sure what tappets will sound like on a diesel engine, but have had lots of experience with tappets on my Nissan 1400 a few years ago. The sound was quite obvious with that engine. So can tappets be the reason for lumpy idle and low power on cold engine?

What about the catalytic converter? Will that cause smoke if it is bad or should I in any case open that and have a look?