Dual GPS option for guys with non-track capable GPSs ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
Something occurred to a fortnight ago.

I organized a ride through the Valley of 1000 Hills, and I knew I would have to ride up front. I published the track on the Forum and MadDog downloaded it and offered to ride sweeper, so I had no fear that the pack would break up as we had 62s’s loaded with the track front and back.

But I had also loaded the track and waypoints into my little non-mapping Foretrex 301 :-
See here: https://www.techshop.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?ItemId=1085
. . .which I recently got as a replacement for my 101 that died after many years of service. In fact the 101 was the only GPS I had prior to getting an eTrex with maps and routing.

So I put the little GPS on Wannies’ bike with the Velcro strap over the bar, and gave him a crash course in how to follow the track. He had never used a GPS but said it was great to see where the track ahead was going, and he said he would have had no trouble riding the track if the pack got spilt or even riding solo.

For R1200 the little ForeTrex is a remarkable little GPS. It has no maps, routing or fancy features, but it handles tracks and waypoints (upload and download from a PC) far better than all the Nuvis and with far less hassle than the low end zumos and all the TomToms.

I often ride with both GPSs. The foretrex with its uncluttered monochrome screen is much easier to navigate a pre-planned or published track with, but the 62s is great for all the other navigation and mapping features.  

So maybe a solution for riders who find themselves with one of the GPSs that does road navigation well, but can’t handle tracks and waypoints, is to get a Foretrex as an additional GPS for when you need those capabilities.