Dullstroom the WET way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plothond

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
I apologise to those eagerly awaiting this report
I've definately done my share of DS riding these last 2 months (5 800km) and the time spent on ride reports is starting to get me into trouble  >:D

So herewith a short one and the others can fill in

Thanks to Runner, the start was agreed on to be 05:30. Except for one minor detail - Runner did not arrive.  :(
I believe a rather insistant and unhappy baby kept him awake the previous night so all is forgiven

I arrived at 05:25 and everyone bar one was already there (and Ratel  >:D)
I get this woosie SMS - something about rain and it being wet bla bla bla.......
I SMS back - ".. and your problem is??"
Ratel goes on an incredible guilt trip, decides to join us along the route

So leaving the garage were, Myself, Major Tom, HHHusky, Jules, 1X and Gryshond

We attack the trainline in Witpoort

Dull101.jpg

.. and the MUD MONSTER promptly attackes us back. I was in front so no pic available but Gryshond became the first casualty for the day.
The MM picked him up and spat him out

Soon we are in the beautiful and popular poort

Dull102.jpg

1X

Dull103.jpg

Major Tom

Dull104.jpg

Traction was great here and we were all misbehaving. (Gryshond a little less as the Mud Monster had taken his confidence a bit - albeit only for a while)

A rest stop

Dull105.jpg

Gryshond having a ciggie and back to his old self

Dull106.jpg

Just behind Loskop - up on the hill

Jules

Dull107.jpg

HHHusky showing off

Dull108.jpg

and most of the group again

Dull109.jpg

Just a bit later 1X goes walkabout. Admittedly of his own accord. He wanted show us a view point. We declined and decided to frame him. The bush even looked like he had ridden through it.
PERFECT !!  >:D

1Xoffroad.jpg

He did drop it on exiting, but was tooooooooo quick for the camera's

Dull110.jpg

We filled up with fuel just below the Dam wall at Loskop. I'd never seen the wall so we decided to go and look
FULL to the brim

Dull111.jpg

Dull112.jpg

A fantastic ride took as to Dullstroom where Ratel was patiently waiting for us

Major Tom and HHHusky destroying the fittings at the Duck & Trout
(You cannot take these guys anywhere)

Dull113.jpg

The food was excellent and I can reccommend anyone to go there. The pizza was just lekker (not like the commercial cr@p we get here in the city) and the prego's looked delicious

All the while a major downpour was skirting the town.
Much to everyones disgust, I lead us off the tar into it - hey, a route is a route  >:D

Ratel with his Scorpions managed fine, but I'm not sure he was entirely happy.
Gryshond was just plain non committal. The other on the lighter bikes did not bitch too much

Dull114.jpg

Dull115.jpg

Just as we got back to the tar it really came down.
Vote: Route (and mud monster) 0, Tar 1

Dull116.jpg

Just outside Middleburg
Apology for the smudge. It's been there since the Wakkerstroom trip. Looks like I might need to get the lens cleaned  :(

Dull117.jpg

HHHusky was thirsty & tired, so Jules offered it some water.
HHHusky was in no mood for fun & games and just lay against the armco barrier

Dull118.jpg

Just before Boschkop, the Husky had enough and tried to spit it's rider off.
HHHusky lashed back and brought the beast under control
The damage was done - fuggit all over the place and the tube possibly in a million pieces
No amount of convincing could get the axle off

So off I went and got the bakkie.

Dull119.jpg

Dull120.jpg

Thanks to everyone. I enjoyed the ride with you all.
My km's for the day - 550km (Jules well over 600km)

Till we ride again

;D ;D ;D

Lekka lekka, similar area around loskop, remind me to show you the smaller path I rode.

Thanks everyone I enjoyed the ride. Got soaked on the way home.

Check the last photo we even saw Uiltjie the Western Cape Wilddog, don't know where his bike was ;) ;D

Attachments

• 1X.JPG
    1X.JPG
    55.7 KB
  • Group.JPG
    Group.JPG
    48.9 KB
  • River left.JPG
    River left.JPG
    52.5 KB
  • River Right.JPG
    River Right.JPG
    44.3 KB
  • Uiltjie.JPG
    Uiltjie.JPG
    118.1 KB
Looks like a lekker ride! mixture of rain and sunshine.

BTW, there is a smudge on your camera's lens.

Big thank-you to Plothond, Plotwyfie and Major Tom for helping with recovery of the Husky.

I had the tools, I had a spare tube, I had a pump,  I had studied the video on how to do it - mentally I was 100% ready to fix the tire in 10 minutes flat, but the reality was I couldn't even get the axle out ??? At the moment the Husky is sulking in the corner, but this weekend we will make peace and I will try and figure out what went wrong, and follow Plothond's advice to pack axle with Molyslip before reassembly.

Was intending to post, but work got in the way  :-\  If you don't mind, PH, I'll just latch onto this thread.

Sunday's ride was the dual between the heavy dual sports, and the so-called plastic bikes.  The mudmonster bit at the heavies and road-rubber, while the plastics had a whale of a time. The reverse was true on the tar and highway sections, where my DRZ400 was faithfully bringing up the rear.

I had also fitted the Dirt-Bagz and Jerrycan(aka centre-stand) to see how well it all held up over the terrain we were intending to ride.

The mudmonster

DullstroomJan08001.jpg

Gryshond doing roadside topbox repairs (boy do I know the feeling)

DullstroomJan08002.jpg

Plothond with training whe.. er, legs

DullstroomJan08005.jpg

Jules

DullstroomJan08007.jpg

Gryshond on the Strom.  At this point the mud had packed up so tightly inside the front mudguard, that the wheel was sliding along, no turning at all.

DullstroomJan08008.jpg

The plastics waiting patiently (also why lots of photos were taken here - time to kill).  HHHusky sporting his new designer side-stand.

DullstroomJan08009.jpg

Somewhere along the route, a way behind the others

DullstroomJan08011.jpg

DullstroomJan08012.jpg

Then we met up again at Dullstroom, Ratel making a guest appearance, had lunch, and back into the rain and mud.  More, more, but it was not to be.  Got on the N4 at Belfast, straight into a traffic jam, accident (not us), and roadblock.  That'll teach us. After about 70 odd km's of N4, again bringing up the rear (in more ways than one), we thankfully turned off.  Hoofing it on the DRZ on tar is not where it's forte lies. Thanks HHHusky for always keeping me in your mirrors, and to the rest for waiting at the turn-offs.

DullstroomJan08014.jpg

DullstroomJan08015.jpg

The plastics were given a chance to go and play along a washed out route, while the heavies waited at a convenient intersection.  This is the fun that we had

DullstroomJan08017.jpg

Actually only went along the side, not through, but the road kept us alert.  Then HHHusky decided that a rear tube is overrated, and shed his. Note how handy: the Jerrycan becomes a centre-stand - one for the Pooratech thread.

DullstroomJan08018.jpg

And finally, no recovery is complete without a picture.  HHHusky appalled at his bike up on a bakkie (boy do I know that feeling too).

DullstroomJan08019.jpg

A great day's ride!! Thanks, PH for organizing.  I also managed to convince myself that longer distances for weekends on the DRZ are possible, and the Dirtbagz are absolute winners!!  The centre... er, Jerrycan just needs an appropriate bracket, and the bike is set.

Gryshond, 1X and Jules, nice meeting you, and thanks to all for making this a Sunday to remember!!

Lekker ride, thanks for showing us!  Mud monster was out in full force it looks like!  Just go a little faster than comfortable....  >:D

So as you already know, I left Centurion about an hour after Plothond called me. Since I was under the impression that they are way ahead of me I took the tar road past Rayton and through Bronkhorstspruit to the first dirt of the day.

I tried to find out where the group was but only got voicemail :-\. No worries solo riding can be fun also ;D

When I got to Stofberg I managed to get hold of Plothond - they weren't even at Loskop yet :eek:

From there on I took it nice and slowly and really enjoyed the peace and tranquility of the mountains behind Dulstroom ;)

I took this short little video with my cellphone, listen to the birds chirping away!!! I know the quality sucks but I really enjoyed being out there by myself :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqD98VRTFEI

nicki said:
Looks like a lekker ride! mixture of rain and sunshine.

BTW, there is a smudge on your camera's lens.

Thats not a smudge, thats Duvha Power Station.....

Hehe. That mud look's interesting. The type that clogs up the wheels when you go slow. :twisted: :mrgreen: