Durban Valley Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Whilst the Gauties were fighting at DeWildt, we also did our part here in Durbs.  Some friends invited us along for a valley ride, but Hein was going to sleep late because it was a "plastic" bike ride.  I managed to talk him into the ride on condition that I take the 990.  So it was Gaukes (KTM 450) Johan (Yam 250) Hein (950) and me (990).

We set off at 6:30, lovely clear day down here - ideal riding weather.  We took a fairly technical track in "plastic" terms and some people would call the LC8's "out of place" in this environment. 

The track is a very pleasant ride, no traffic, no people and being quite early - not many bikes out yet. 

Jun047.jpg

Taking a break, track visible in the background.

Jun052.jpg

The team:

Jun056.jpg

One of the fairly steep climbs

Jun057.jpg

The ruts are quite bad in places and you need to focus to stay out of them

Jun063.jpg

There are lots of up- and downhills

Jun069.jpg

The rocky section was quite hectic.  Through this valley and the track out is visible on the other side of the stream

Jun074.jpg

Rocky track

Jun078.jpg

Some more rocks

Jun082.jpg

The ride was most enjoyable, it is just great fun to see where these bikes go.  I did miss proper off-road tyres and my 45T back sprocket though.  But I left the Scorps on the bike to get some value out of them - now they have done their job and we can go back to my preferred setup for the upcoming rides.  I still say that the Scorps are better than what they get credit for.  Those rocks and grassy hills with little pebbles in between do however dictate some more offroad rubber, especially when things get wet.  Some of the obstacles had to be attacked a little faster than comfortable to build enough momentum, which would not be necessary with the right wheels (and safer....).  Those long hills are beaten at the bottom....

Thanks to the team for a good time out there!

Good going there on the big bike SGB.
I hear a lot about the "Valley" and I'll do you a trade.
I'll show you all around De Wildt (bring a plastic bike) and you do the same down there?

Nice!

Technical riding has a certain allure to it. One worry beforehand (me at least) but it is fun at the end.

Good going!

Hi SGB

Looks like some great riding you guys did there.

Has Hein upgraded fromhis 640 to a 950? Now I will never keep up with you guys on my KLR.

shark_za said:
I'll show you all around De Wildt (bring a plastic bike) and you do the same down there?

Thanks Shark, DeWildt is still on the "To-Do" list.  And we will happily show you around here too.  Will stay in touch.

JonW said:
Has Hein upgraded fromhis 640 to a 950? Now I will never keep up with you guys on my KLR.

Hi Jon - long time no hear....  Hein is very chuffed with the 950, but spends a lot of time in Aus at present, so he does not get too much time for riding.  When he does, the smile is always there however.  KLR - no worries, on the dirt "all animals are equal".  How is your AT search going?

Hi SGB

I did not find what I was looking for, so I have put the AT search on hold for the time being. I decided that the KLR at this stage does everything that I want it to.