E-10 Test in North Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTMjedi

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Sorry this is a bit difficult to read but the guy is German I believe.

Driving Test Tyre Mitas E-10

In February 2010 I had the BMW forum to read about the developmental series tires on big enduro from a Czech company Mitas with a tread  E-10. The Brno Exhibition motorcycles, which I visited here this company E-10 exhibited. After seeing has long advised tire I asked some basic questions such as the raid kilometers, where the tires tested by representatives Mitas, etc. I received a phone number for Mr. Špaňhel, he submited to me additional responses.

Immediately after the arrival of the show I said  called him, and burdened by other issues and they've got a comprehensive answer. During our conversation, I mentioned that in April we go to Tunisia and I would like the rubber on their BMW R 1150 GS test. We were raised an interesting offer and whether they want one set to test with that after the write a check on the behavior of E-10 report. With this offer, I immediately agreed. The second set of the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure was purchased from Mitas.
On April 24, 2010, we really took off. We went on its own axis through the whole of Italy to Sicily, then a ferry to the capital Tunis, and then we toured along the coast of Tunisia on the edge of the desert. From there, cross the Algerian border and turn back north and then back home. This was our route shortly described.

While driving this route, we have moved onto different surfaces, from gravel to tarmac over the rocky path. Sands we touched only in passing, we also completed a short ride on a slightly muddy salt lake.

Total 6907 km raid. Note that we still went out fully laden motorcycles.  Me and my colleague were driving along and a spare set of tires, because it did not guarantee that the
E-10 will last the entire trip. Every morning the whole time I carried out the test pressure. In the first week showed a regular decrease of pressure on my front wheel. The second  moto without problems. Gradually settled and the rubber pressure leak stopped. The pressure front at full load filled to 220 kPa, 230 kPa ass. Also, I conducted measurements decrease the amount of tread left.

The initial rapid loss pattern is due to the large rounded new tires, so little contact with the ground. From the beginning the moto on a new set of reasons that have already unstable and tends to fall into corners. With the arrival of kilometers slowly that feeling disappears.

Upon arrival of the way I drove another 1000 km, thus generally less than 8000 km and the rear tire is still 4mm of tread on the front and 6mm. After driving about 6000 km on the front tires slowly started to show so-called irregular wear  due to braking and slightly increased noise.

The BMW R 1200 GS Adventure I've watched since the beginning of rapid decline pattern (probably influenced by the way driving). A colleague even went on the set and back to Slovakia. Overall, the rear tires ran about 9000 km and it was necessary to replace the rubber, front - height of the tread is still about 3-4 mm.

When driving on dry asphalt road can be loaded with bike use of almost the entire range of tires (tested at several crossing passes in the Alps). Due to rough tread motorcycle sensitive to crossing the longitudinal grooves on the road. Tyre has a tendency in the corner rebound. On wet asphalt drive to be adapted to the fact that E-10 is a rough pattern and contact with the road surface is reduced. Personally, I happened to be there when driving on wet roads, which this year is enough, the sudden shear front or rear wheels. Several times I felt as a change of surfaces, color lines, grease, etc., that there was a brief loss of adhesion of the ground.

On gravel roads, this type of tire house, keeps well and has the direction of the trend to more rapid passage sweeps go into a skid. In Tunisia, we took several long trips and runs a rocky road, where I was afraid not to puncture. The stones were big as a human fist and quite sharp.

The whole trip we did not cover any defect or breakdown motorbike. While driving on salty mud on salt lake tires to maintain a good self-cleaning capability and prevent them from tread clogging.

End

My personal opinion of the tested tires Mitas E-10 is that the tire is capable of competition in this category, as the price and quality. The above slight imperfections are known to producer and  he is working to eliminate them.

Test performed by:
Rudolf Frana - Joe, BMW R1150GS
George Tomasek - Jura BMW R1200GS Adv

Prepared by: Rudolf Frana