Early Saturday Morning Atlantis ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevgh0

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
So my alarm goes off at 5:40. Im thinking.. Am i crazy? Its chilly outside. But thats not going to stop me. I am awake now. Get my gear on, quietely pull the bike into the driveway, drop the garage and start the bike. My Start and pull away was one motion, I dont want unhappy neighbours at 6am thank you.

My original plan was to meet a couple of brakke at the Total outside melkbos, but then again who in their right mind is up at something to six to go riding.

I leave Total at 630 on my way to atlantis. About 10km down the R27 I turn right onto a dirt road going past a WC skydiving. Then just before the brick quarry I turned onto the rail way line.

I got to the my entry point at atlantis (thanx Lito) deflated my front and rear ( no gauge mind you, Just a little stone and count to 30s per tire.) This bring me around 1bar . First 50 meters of sand was soft, but the 606 bit well. Then to my surprise, Hard packed sand.. My word could this be?

I increased the speed to roughly about 60 -80kph  abit slower in the hoops since i had to remind myself that im still half asleep. But When I got to the white stuff. It was as hard as could be. Obviously the dew in the night has an effect on the sands top layer. I noticed around 8am that the sand was getting slightly soft again.

7am is so quiet . theres nothing not a soul. Apart from the toyota club who had a their day organised there. but they were all still sleeping..
In the distance I could hear Trucks reversing in atlantis, on the other side I could hear the Waves.

What a way to wake up. I will do this anytime again it was AWESOME!

Attachments

• IMAG0108.jpg
    IMAG0108.jpg
    110.1 KB
  • IMAG0109.jpg
    IMAG0109.jpg
    95.5 KB
  • IMAG0110.jpg
    IMAG0110.jpg
    72.6 KB
:thumleft: :thumleft:

I have been on the dunes at night after 12, that sand gets very hard then.

moisture and the cold air.

Maybe we should go do a night ride there when it's full moon. That should be a gas.

13 Nov, Thursday
FULL MOON

Sun Rise: 05:35
Set : 19:25

Moon Set : 05:12
Rise: 20:06

14 Nov, Friday

Sun Rise: 05:34
Set : 19:26

Moon Set : 06:04
Rise: 21:19

The Friday evening should work (although I would suggest we skip Friday drinks).
It is ALWAYS clear weather the night after full moon........have you never noticed that?

We don't have to make it an all-nighter but I guess that would be the ultimate, maybe even braai & sleep there.

I'll need to get somebody to work in my place though.

Saturday  15 Nov the moon should still be nice & big too:

Sun Rise: 05:33
Set : 19:27

Moon Set : 07:05
Rise: 22:26

Let's start eating carrots, I haven't seen if it clashes with other planned rides. (yea I know this should go under "Planning a ride" but this is just in answer to a question.)

Sorry I am out for those nights. Got the Animal Rock Concert both nights. If you do it again towards the end of the month I'll join in.

maybe speak to paramed to bring his cage. that bolero goes anywhere!

Lekke stevo
You have a sand addiction man!
Are you coming next weekend? You need to show us the hidden entrance! :thumleft:

There is something so special and fresh in the early mornings....what a way to start the day..... ???

Almost as tho you own the world around you at that time.... :)

index.php

beautiful photograph!!!!!  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Its so weird man - synchronicity is a biatch! - I was lying in bed this morning and wondering about riding along the railway line by meself either in the very early morning or perhaps doing a sundowner/late evening and gooing mielies.

I seriously want to go and explore and find that 60km route!!!

ps: as if this bears mentioning  ::)  - guys/galz - pls be careful about riding on the dunes at night, the reduced vision could be catastrophic for your health/ your bikes health when it comes to dips/washaways in the sand/dunes starting or ending/ and sulke dinge...  :-\ be very very weary pls!

Lito said:
index.php

beautiful photograph!!!!!  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Its so weird man - synchronicity is a biatch! - I was lying in bed this morning and wondering about riding along the railway line by meself either in the very early morning or perhaps doing a sundowner/late evening and gooing mielies.

I seriously want to go and explore and find that 60km route!!!

ps: as if this bears mentioning  ::)  - guys/galz - pls be careful about riding on the dunes at night, the reduced vision could be catastrophic for your health/ your bikes health when it comes to dips/washaways in the sand/dunes starting or ending/ and sulke dinge...  :-\ be very very weary pls!

Gooi me a pm, im always keen to gooi mielies in your roost!