EDC flash lights

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Bill the Bong

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Cagiva Elefant 900
I know, I know, not knives. But I think the guys that carry pocket knives are more likely to have an EDC flash light. As such, I’m more interested in your opinion than the broader population. Not the large tactical thing in the drawer, the one in your pocket. Also, we have been talking about bolt action pens here, so a torch should be OK…

What do you carry, opinions, where did you get it, price at time of purchase, etc.

Also what on-line retailer would you recommend.

GRUNT

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Mark Louden....The Torch Guy
I carry an Acebeam M10, about 7 years now so can't remember the cost
Sofirn make good torches, good value
I also have an Olight i5T as part of the rotation
These are my small EDC lights all work with 14500 liON or AA alkaline in a pinch
Just like a comfortable EDC blade you will be surprised at how often a good torch gets used

Another thread somewhere asked "what makes a man a real man"
answer: Belt, Knife, Torch :p

Tabasco

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Fenix (PD25)
hy werk elke dag, op my 2de een (eerste was non-rechrge, hy het batterye ge vreet). Nuwes is recharge 👍
Koop sommer extra battery en hou hom gelaai (usb)

goodtoogo

Pack Dog
Reaction score
I find any device that uses the 18650 rechargeable lithium battery the most versatile. Chargers are easily available.
Battery easily available ( make sure its not fong kong. Tip they weigh nothing and promise the world)
18650 refers to its dimensions 18mm diameter 65mm long. Torch therefore can be small yet powerful and have long run time

Bill the Bong

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Cagiva Elefant 900
I’m starting to see a trend on youTube that Sofirn and Wurkkos sedm to dominate the high quality low cost segment. There could be reasons for this, like marketing budget and willingness to give freebees to reviewers, but they seem good

Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
This is hands down the most bang for your buck torch with a punch.

Always keep it in the bakkie, very impressed.

mox

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
My current two, well the Olight i1R 2 EOS is permanently with me, great little thing.
Olight M2r Pro excellent. Not the cheapest though.

Have a few Nitecore flashlights as well

Attachments

• 20221026_151959.jpg
    20221026_151959.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221026_152120.jpg
    20221026_152120.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

shark_za

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
I used to have as many flashlights as I have knives or guns, now I only have about 30 or so ;)

These days I EDC a Fenix E05 attached to my Swiss Army Farmer-X and then a Streamlight Microstream USB rechargable as a "Tac-Light"
This streamlight uses a 14500 and charges with USB. There are two versions, the brown one is forward switch that starts in high, while the other black one starts in low.

Next to my bed is a Surefire 6P Defender with a Malkoff high output dropin (P61), as a utility for load shedding I use a Surefire C2 with a Malkoff P61NeutralLow or a G2/G3 with P61NeutralLowLow.
Occasionally I carry a Elzetta M60, another Malkoff powered Surefire compatible host.
I use Surefire Brand LiFePO4 cells for general use, the ones I leave lying around for security are loaded with stadard one use Primary Lithiums.
(Surefire Defender and Insight M3 pistol light for example)

1666846732537.png

mox

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
A couple more Olights .
i5T Eos , Small, light, 300-lumen, 60-meter beam, up to 20-hour runtime, 15 -300 lumens. Can be used on a cap as a headlamp and runs off AA sized battery. Not chargeable.IPX8

i3 Eos, key-chain size, 90 lumens up 44m throw, IPX8 waterproof and AAA. Not chargeable.

Edited: https://www.olightstore.co.za/edc/mobile.html have been impressed in the past with their service and if you spend over a certain amount you get a reasonable free gift. There is also a fan club reward system. Exclusive limited edition zone, Preferential zone, Redemption Zone etc You'd have to have a serious flash light fetish to climb up the fan club zones to reap benefits though

Attachments

• 20221027_074420.jpg
    20221027_074420.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1666850728269.jpeg
    1666850728269.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

stroke her

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
You need to remove the battery to charge the Manker, right, or do you have a different version
Yes...the battery has a USB-C port. Bit of a schlep but battery life is really good. What I do like is that there is no beam focus so you only have one o-ring on the screw cap in terms of seals making for a very robust light.

I am not an expert by any means...the Manker just crossed my path so to speak at the time I was looking for a light by means of a very good Takealot offer. Thus far very chuffed.

Bill the Bong

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Cagiva Elefant 900
Yes...the battery has a USB-C port. Bit of a schlep but battery life is really good. What I do like is that there is no beam focus so you only have one o-ring on the screw cap in terms of seals making for a very robust light.

I am not an expert by any means...the Manker just crossed my path so to speak at the time I was looking for a light by means of a very good Takealot offer. Thus far very chuffed.
I really liked that review, its very robust. I did see that there were Mankers with on-board charging. I think it is a great option

MonkeyNot

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
TorchSA is running some great "open box" deals if anyone is in the market

Peter Vee

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
For edc use I have 2 x OLights... i3T in the pocket and iR2 on my keys... works for me to point I forget they are with me.

Like most I have several hardcore torches around the property and in my vehicles.. the little Olights get more use than the rest combined

IMG_7846.jpg

Lear300

Race Dog
Reaction score
only saw this now.....

I carry two torches with me, a WML and a small EDC in my pocket.

The WML is a Streamlight TLR7. I use this when i need my pistol.
My EDC is a O-Light S1R Batton II - 1000 lumens. (the new version is 1200lm I think)

I found that when Eskom kicks in and you find yourself in a dark isle in Woolworths, using a WML to see where you going is frowned upon :LOL:

The S1R Batton is not cheap, but well engineered, and has been through some rough shit with me, very hardy, water proof, battery life is good, and its re-chargeable, using a nifty little magnet connected to a USB point, so super handy, can charge off a laptop, in the car or on the bedside table when sleeping.

The TLR7 is for when I am doing weapon work. I prefer to have a WML and a free hand or support hand if needed when working with a gun.