ESA and TC on an 1150

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Pinched from UKGSER :snorting:

Yesterday I went out for a ride around the lanes of Magalies. Whilst out I noticed that the suspension on the old girl was a little saggy. Not really understanding what to do, or whether I should call out BMW on call, I had a look around to see if there was something I missed.
All new BMs seem to have ESA, so I wondered if my 1150 came with it (maybe the stcker just fell off?).
Well bugger me, there seemed to be a black knobby type thing on the lefthand side of the bike with a hose heading towards the rear shock. Not wanting to mess with this technological piece of equipment, a quick call to BMW assist and it seems that the knob is actually a (now let me get this right) preload adjuster and is part of the 1150s ESA (Electricless Suspension Adjustment). 2 turns later and I couldn't believe the difference, the bike was transformed

I found I could go as fast as before with absolutely no problems, amazeballs
I also found that it comes with Traction control (also known as throttle control). Unbelievably, if you turn the throttle slower, the rear wheel spins slower and reduces the risk of the rear breaking free, it's almost intuative how this system works and I feel that BM have added a superb safety feature without really shouting about it.

The lack of a keyfob for the alarm could be an issue for some, but I find it to be ideal as the bike doesn't have an alarm.

I have changed my display so that when I refill with petrol, the odometer shows 000. I find this very useful as it lets me know the mileage that I have done since filling up.

Overall I can't believe how amazing this bike is, and so full of amazing technology. I am now a little scared that all these rider aids may all fail and leave me stranded whereas before I knew about them I was fine  8)