Exhaust Pipe Pressures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartman

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
This morning I started my 81 R100RS to give it a bit of a battery charge and was going through "pre flight" checks when I noticed something I haven't noticed before.  I almost always feel the exhaust gasses out of both pipes to see if they are the same rough temperature.  Feel the pipes at the back and see if there is any significant difference.  They felt the same temp wise but when feeling the exhaust pressure out of the pipes I noticed that the left side was noticeably different from the right.  The left side has more pressure than the right.  I feel the pressure by holding my hands about 5 - 7 cm away from the pipes while the bike is idling.  Nothing scientific, but there is a difference.  In looking and feeling around the bike, I also noticed an intermittent tick or knock that happens from the right hand side. Nothing rhythmic or noticeable under low or medium revs.  Sounds like its from the head.
The engine was recently redone by experts and has done less than 100km.  I am due to take it back after 1000km to have torques checked etc, but if it is already misbehaving I don't want to ruin/make things worse etc.  Hence I am apprehensive in opening things and looking for fear of interfering with their work and creating confusion later on. 
I am using our good fiend Google but cant seem to find something that has relevance.
My questions:
Is this normal?
What could be the cause?
TIA