Extended warranty

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Staffie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GSA
OK so as many of you know I've decided to return to dual purpose.
I'm a firm believer in prevention is better than cure and have always taken out extended warranties and proper insurance.
On the insurance side I'm waxed and have always received great service and premiums from Bikesure - not that I've ever claimed anything but I'm open to your opinions.
On the extended warranty I'm left in the dark...
My cars have always been with motovantage/motorite but I'm not sure about bikes.
Please share your thoughts and reasons for consideration so that I can make an informed decision.
Who's the best for BMW specifically?

Staffie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GSA
Clever okes... What do you think of the attached?
  1. Warranty from Motorite. R6325.00 incl VAT 2. Years
  2. Warranty from VAPSSA. R7700.00 incl VAT. 2 years
  3. Warranty from AVS. R5 335.54 (plan 30). 2 years

Attachments

• Road Motorcycle Warranty Policy (October 2020).pdf
    249.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Options Motorcycle sales guide 010418.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • AVS BOOK.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • AVS 2 YEAR MECHANICAL WARRANTY INFORMATION.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 07. AVS INFORMATION SHEET.pdf
    202.7 KB · Views: 0

Tampan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
I took out extended warranty with Automark Upington, on a 2015 D4D Hilux. Against my will, I might add, because a Hilux doesn't break.
The sales lady convinced me, however, and I went ahead to buy the warranty. I can't remember who the underwriter or insurance company was.

After a few months, both front shock tower brackets broke. One could be repaired, but the other had to be replaced. I took the issue to the sales lady and she just laughed me off, saying it was as a result of spacers that I installed on the front coils, and according to her, was not covered under the extended warranty. Reading the contract, however, convinced me that it was indeed covered.
My point was that they sold me the vehicle, with the spacers already installed, and they gave a warranty on it, as I bought it and not excluding anything. And, I did not install the spacers.
I tried going the legal way, but luckily stopped before it cost me anything. It was clear that I was not going to get anywhere and I was going to throw good money after bad money.

In the end, I told them to fuck off and paid for the repairs myself.
I will never, ever pay one cent for any extended warranty again, ever. And, I will walk with my own two feet, before ever setting foot near Upington Toyota, ever.

manxkipper

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Norton (all models)
I think one should examine the policy wording very carefully as these companies often repudiate claims based on their clause exclusions. I have never bought any aftermarket extended warranty.

TheBear

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I think one should examine the policy wording very carefully as these companies often repudiate claims based on their clause exclusions. I have never bought any aftermarket extended warranty.
I avoid them like the plague after I got burned with small print wording some years ago. My car's 5th gear went awol. Car went to gearbox guys, who removed it from the car, stripped it down and provided a quote. The extended warranty guys decline repair as they deemed it "normal wear and tear". They never replied to me when I asked that they name just one thing that could go wrong on a vehicle at 100 000km, which cannot be described as normal wear and tear. Anyway, I had a car with its gearbox on a workbench and no money to have it repaired. The repaired wanted a neat sum of Zars just to re-assemble and fit. Can't blame them. I had to borrow bucks to have it repaired. Never again!

Manic

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Aftermarket Warranty is kak. Los dit.

Skeltonsc

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLE 500
I had one of these policies on my bakkie, when my gearbox packed up everyone said R50k service exchange now the policy that was sold was only going to cover R16k, I repaired the vehicle myself through a friends workshop with parts that I bought and sent the dealership my invoice they sorted it out with the insurance, as really impressed with the service from the dealership as the insurance had declinded the repair.

However I have been burnt before on a previous car that cracked a radiator and was told this is normal wear and tear.

TheBear

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I must also mention that my cousins both have extended warranties on their Toyotas via the Toyota dealer and they swear by it. They never have issues with approval. All handled by the dealer for them. That said, they own about 10 through the farming business.

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
And then there is me driving BMW and Land Rover
Got forced to take aftermarket warranties, hate them, still never had any use for them

:devilish:

Jughead

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I deal with Motorite a lot as I am on their "panel".

Motorite will usually cover "Initial Cause", not resultant damage. So, your radiator pops and the motor overheats a seizes.

Initial cause ot the motor seizing is the popped radiator - covered.

Resultant cause is the motor that seizes - not covered.

In my experience with them, they will always ask what caused the damage. If you say you don't know, it becomes "wear and tear". No claim. If you say a stone hit the radiator, it is classed as an "incident" and you are told to claim from your normal vehicle insurance.

TheBear

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS

Motorite will usually cover "Initial Cause", not resultant damage. So, your radiator pops and the motor overheats a seizes.

In my experience with them, they will always ask what caused the damage. If you say you don't know, it becomes "wear and tear". No claim. If you say a stone hit the radiator, it is classed as an "incident" and you are told to claim from your normal vehicle insurance.
Most of us are not mechanics, so we will say: "I don't know". 😜

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure

what is going on here...

on their panel means its not them, but you! 👀

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
I worked at WesBank with Motorite and Motorwise warranties for years. All of the customers wanting to claim stuff that came through me had issues where they reckoned it is normal wear and tear. I had to arrange OAD loans to get them to repair stuff

Never again

TheBear

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I worked at WesBank with Motorite and Motorwise warranties for years. All of the customers wanting to claim stuff that came through me had issues where they reckoned it is normal wear and tear. I had to arrange OAD loans to get them to repair stuff

Never again
Motorwise was the crowd who burnt me on the gearbox issue I told earlier.

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)

Never again
A O D
Acknowledgment of Debt

Seems I are dyslexic

Manic

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I must also mention that my cousins both have extended warranties on their Toyotas via the Toyota dealer and they swear by it. They never have issues with approval. All handled by the dealer for them. That said, they own about 10 through the farming business.
Extended Fabriek warranties yes ja.

Aftermarket Warranties bly ek van ver weg.

Jughead

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
what is going on here...

on their panel means its not them, but you! 👀
No, being on their panel means I am approved to do repairs on their behalf. They are the ones paying (or 95% of the time not paying) for said repairs.

bronzy

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
These warranties are from Toyota and they the underwriters so they will honour the claims

TheBear

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
This reminds me of the BMW "small repair" (actual name slips my mind) policy. The purpose is small body repairs, less than the excess on your main insurance. The Swambo took it on her bike. Bike keeled over and the hand guard and clutch lever broke. No problem. She's got this policy. Aikôna! Read the small print. They cover repairs to body bits, not the replacement of body bits. 😡