Finding a Gee in two eicH's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteb

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
I bought these seperately more than 10 years ago, they've been sitting in my garage waiting for my retirement. Both are 1981 IT175 'H's, and the engine and frame numbers match on both. Both need a lot of work, my intention is to find the best bits from each, and make up a restored one. One looks more complete than the other, which is missing exhaust, coils, flywheel and magneto covers, as well as lots of little bits. but it does have some things the other one doesn't. Also, although it has had a 'mechanic' have a go at it, I can see it hasn't led as hard a life as the more complete one (which has dimples in the bottom frame tubes, gouges in the swingarm).

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

Except I'm not going to build a 1981 IT175 H, I'm going to make a 1980 IT175 'G'. Both models were absolutely (as far as I can tell) the same, except the G came with white fenders and hand guards, whereas the H came with the sky blue ones. Why, you may ask.
The reason is the very first brand new bike I ever owned was a 1980 IT175 G, this is the only (sorry not very good) pic I have of it new.

IT 175 new.jpg

It was such a massive step up from my old TS 185 Suzuki. We just gelled completely. It saw me through 4 years of racing and weekend riding, and started a love affair with Yamaha. I was so sad to see them discontinue the IT range (my 200 was also a very special bike). This pic is taken I think around 1981, after a muddy WFO.

WFO 1981.jpg

I'm in no rush to get them done, will update from time to time. Will obviously need some bits, side panels and white mudguards top of the list. I've made a start, here is what they look like now. Let the degrunging begin.

IMG_0571.JPG