First ride: New Honda CRF300L

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
I took my new Honda CRF300L for a first ride today. Coming from a 2013 CRF250L, here are my impressions.
Lots have been published so I am not going to ramble on, but instead say what I experienced, being 2m tall and weighing 105kg.

Coming off a 2014 CRF250L I thought that the 2021 CRF300L would be a big enough upgrade to take the plunge. When the CRF250L got stolen right in front of my office 3 weeks ago the opportunity arose earlier than anticipated. Only 20 came into the country. I missed out on one in Johannesburg, but fortunately Honda Umhlanga had one coming their way, and I happened to call at precisely the right time...

Most bikes are built with a 75kg rider in mind, and it is no different with the CRF300L. What about 2m tall, 105kg riders then?

The bike arrived in Cape Town on Saturday morning.

First impression when sitting on the new CRF300L (on most bikes I with my 2m frame sit on) was that the handlebar was too close. Tilting the handlebar forward helped a lot to make the cockpit roomier.
Rotating the handlebars as much as I do has implications: in this case the front brake hose (the one that loops over the instrumentation) rubs against the clutch cable. The solution is to move the top plastic brake hose guide ring a bit forward (inserting a spacer) so that it does not rub against the clutch cable.

Dropping the levers about 30° from horizontal makes for a much more relaxed standing position as you don’t get carpal syndrome from riding with bent pulses. But now my rhs thumb presses against the bottom of the brake lever when opening the throttle. Moving the whole brake lever/fluid housing a bit inwards will solve the problem and provide a 2 finger lever feeling.

The throttle on the CRF300L is an interesting one. It feels as if it has a long travel to get to full throttle (almost like the 2013 BMW F800GS). You have to turn the throttle, retake and then turn again to get to full stop. Throttle spring preload feels stiffer than on the CRF250L, meaning that you have to turn just a bit harder to make it happen. I will lubricate the cables to see if it gets better, but I realized once again that the thin Honda grips are too small for my long fingers. Grip Up grip protectors increases the grip circumference and feel. I fitted a set and am looking forward to feel the difference.

First thing that went on the seat is that belt over the seat. With my 2m frame I sit right on top of it so it does little for comfort. What is this belt for in any way?

Second impression when sitting on the bike was that the suspension was too soft for my 105kg frame. I adjusted the preload to maximum, but it was still not enough. When sitting on the bike there is still 140mm of sag. Given the CRF300L’s 260mm spring travel, it means that it sags over halfway. This is felt when riding – as if the rear is too low. I will have to perform the same mod as on the CRF250L: inserting a 15mm spacer in the rear spring to get the preload right.

Compared to the CRF250L which has a basic bash plate, the CRF300L has none. Keeping with the theme of saving weight I am not sure that an alu plate is needed. The 300L has more ground free height than the 250L which is excellent, but some protection will do. Acerbis makes a plastic bash plate for the CRF250L which has reportedly been fitted to the 300L with two new holes drilled. A plastic bash plate works perfectly on my KTM 300XCW, so why not on a CRF300L?

After reading up extensively on the CRF300L, the engine comes as a real surprise. A new balancer shaft is meant to make it smoother. The CRF250L has a super smooth machine, so the expectations were high. But one cannot beat physics. The bore was kept, but the stroke increased with 12mm, A longer stroke makes more torque (which can be felt) but makes the engine a bit rougher. The extra power has a role to play I am sure - more internal power to deal with on each firing stroke, and I have not taken it over 6000rpm yet, but you can feel a slight increase in engine vibrations. The fact that Honda inserted bar end weights into the standard handlebars says it all…

The new engine works really well. First impressions were that the 300L pulls like the 250L, but after a 200km ride today I was impressed. Unlike the 250, the bike now has enough power to shift to 6th at 60k/h, and has enough power to pull along. On the 250 I had to install a 13t front sprocket (down from the standard 14t) to make it go better. The 300L has a shorter first (ideal for technical riding) and a longer 6th. This means that the engine spins 6000rpm at 100km, which is perfect for what the bike is as it has enough power at sea level for normal riding. It reportedly really starts pulling after 6000rpm, but it will have to wait for another few km. Power and gearbox are perfectly sorted.

Today was a perfect winters day in Cape Town with temperatures going up to 23°C. It was interesting to hear the radiator fan activating a few times in slower traffic or standing at a traffic light. Most probably one of the symptoms of a super lean mixtures after 2021 Euro 5 regulations had to be adhere to. It does not intrude, but one can feel the engine braking, hear the slight exhaust popping and feel the fuel shut off on the overrun – the throttle can be slightly sensitive due to lean mixtures. EJK makes a fuel controller for the CRF300L...

The engine and exhaust of the CRF250L sounded like a sewing machine and the expectation was that the 300L would be the same. Not so: the 300 exhaust has a deeper throb to it and is more audible. My family could hear the bike idling while opening the sliding gate – something they could not hear on the 250L. Many have reported that they are happy with the exhaust sound which is deeper and louder than on the outgoing bike.

On my first 205km trip from Table View through Sea point, past Camps bay, Chapmans peak, Sea Point and Fish Hoek, turning right to Stellenbosch along the sea and riding through the Africa part of Cape Town north of the N1 (read Blue Downs, Elsiesrivier) back to Wynberg and back home via the N3 and R27, with mixed riding to vary engine rpm and not exceeding 100km/h, the fuel consumption was good. The dash reported 35km/l at one stage, but upping the speed (to 6000rpm @ 100km/h) brought it down to 33km/l. Filling up with 6.5l after 205km left me with an average consumption of 31,7km/l and another 1.3l in the tank. It does not sound like much, but 240km doing mixed riding is not too shabby for a 7.8l tank.

Overall, I walked away impressed with the new Honda CRF300L. I can understand why some has named it as the best small adventure bike for 2021.

Attachments

• CRF300L Houtbaai.JPG
    CRF300L Houtbaai.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 539
  • CRF300L Soetwater.jpg
    CRF300L Soetwater.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 531