FJ Cruiser. Why and why not?

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

wjn

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Owned a blue and white one for about 3 years and 60k km….best car I even owned, miss it every day. Had to get something bigger because of the space issues as mentioned above, as had a kid on the way and two big dogs to lug around regularly. If not for that I would still have it.

Proper no-nonsense 4x4, and perfect for two people. With decent tyres it will take you where you need to go offroad. Monster in the sand and tows really well if that’s your thing.

Yes, it has a bit of a drinking problem…par for the course with the V6. Averaged around 7.5km/l. Best was 9km/l (by some miracle) and worst 4km/l towing in river beds. If you can look at post-2012 with the dual tanks and crawl control. The single tank model will only get you 400ish k’s between refills and that becomes a frustration on longer trips.

Mine use to hunt while cruising at slightly above legal limits and would kick down dramatically if you hit a steep pass…solution was just to anticipate it and knock the gearleaver into manual mode, which made it shift down a single ratio vs the auto kickdown.

You will chip/break windscreens eventually and it is poperly wide so the sides scratch on the trails, but ownership was 100% trouble free.

Put the traction control off in the rain and itritate your wife by going sideways🤣my wife said I was infantile when driving it.

pandaattack1

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Only 1 objection from that opening post.....

fairly......???? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
To be honest, I have no clue. I don't have any real reference. My friend's have been doing this for years and most of them have built up to the wazoo cruisers and jeeps with 35" tyres and V8 motors and lift kits so high I can park my Audi under them etc etc. Not my thing (yet), and looking for something a bit more modest and obviously WAY less expensive. 🤣

From what I've read, heard and seen I can't really go wrong with an FJ. It appears that if you can handle the quirkyness of the FJ (all of which I love), and you can handle the thirst, it makes for an awesome 4x4. Perfect for weekend trips and enough meat on the bone to turn into a fantastic overlanding vehicle, that should last me many years.

Will have to do some spreadsheeting... I won't be finding any reasons not to go through with this.

Thanks for all the input!

FJR1300

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Koop een, beste kar wat ek nog in my lewe gehad het om mee duine te ry.

Attachments

• IMG-20190503-WA0041.jpg
    IMG-20190503-WA0041.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4701 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4701 (Large).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20210223-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20210223-WA0010.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 600 Z
And they have this cool, retro feel on them.
Especially the dash, it feels and looks like a modern 40 Series inside.
Almost like a big Suzuki Jimny sort of car.
The type of car that you turn around and check out when you stop at a mall and park it.
Or check yourself out on the shop windows.
Serious here....it can be a REAL "soul" car, if it's your type of car.

Tony the Boney

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
yep, the original comment about fairly capable made me read it twice.....extremely capable more like it.
Love the way the traction control kicks in with a couple of audible clicks when you hit a slippery surface and she rights herself.....ai, what a pleasure to drive.

dawiec

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Best car I ever owned. Only sold it because my son was growing up rapidly and space in the back became an issue for him.
performance is rock solid and unstoppable offroad. not as heavy on petrol as you think although it has the aerodynamics of a brick . I personally love the look and retro style. Only negative was that downshift from fifth when you floor it. The ride is smooth with the prado suspension...would I buy it again when my son is out of the house. a BIG yes!

Ejay

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Just get it!

Mine is a 2011 model with 150k Km's on the clock and never missed a beat.

Have owned Jeep, Pajeros and Nissans and loved them all (not the Jeep) but the FJ is just fkn awesome.
And is a little more than "fairly" capable

Rossdog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I had one. Loved it, but those rear doors got me. I had 2 toddlers at the time. Not ideal for baby chair thingies.

Roadhawg

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
My only gripe about em is that they're pretty old now. Been around since 2006....Surely it's time for a new model?

Snafu

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR125L
I cannot comment on the "long in the tooth" I drive a 2007 Fortuner V6 which just went in for its 300k km service :)

@whitedelight bought an FJ replacing his Fortuner V6. He should be able to give you a few pro's and cons

The FJ is lighter on fuel and is an absolute offroad beast, The motor is bullet proof!

VaalBaas

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
My only gripe about em is that they're pretty old now. Been around since 2006....Surely it's time for a new model?
Jy sal dit nie verstaan nie....
Daar sal nie weer so een kan wees nie....ooit🤣

pandaattack1

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Thanks for all the inputs gents.

I'm getting an evaluation on my Audi this week. Hopefully everything works out for me. :D

Vintage_Mania

1979 Honda CB400T
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score

Ek lees nou hulle laaste produksie was Desember 2022. Net nog die huidige stock om te verkoop dan is hulle storie uit.

teebag

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
Everyone says these motors are bulletproof, but I have heard of quite a few Prado's having head gasket issues - same motor :unsure: