Floating around Barberton for the weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tagsy

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Well as they say here’s the first attempt at a ride report. After mastering Photobucket hopefully and having some time to play with its about time.
OK I had been off work for the week with a viral infection ( No not dirty women, something in the water so the doctor informed me............... great something to look forward too). I digress, a couple of weeks ago I mentioned to Malibu I had,nt seen her in a while and maybe we could get together, she was training in Nelspruit, quite a ride from Ellisras, But what the hell. So I asked a couple of lads from work, to take a ride DJ “who shall know be known as Hobo” later............on a totally wanked Aprilla 650, its suspension was totally shot, (later we found a massive gouge in the swingarm where the over long bolt on the rear foot peg had been doing the gouging (good job it was a borrowed bike............  and CH Alias F.A.G. {Fat Aussie Git} on a Yamaha XT 600 Tenere I think its a 84.
After a mad couple of days getting panniers fitted to the Tenere and convincing Hobo that his missus would,nt mind, we left around 1:30 on Friday after work. 
With time against us we decided to high ball on tar straight through Vaalwater to Modimolle after stopping in Modimolle for a cool drink we managed to find a trailor for the apprilla, personally I thought it looks pretty good and adds some style.
Davesbiketrailer-2.jpg
[/img]
We arrived in Groblersdal at around 4:30 found Pick and Pay bough meat and drinks etc. We had planned to ride down to Loskop Dam and camp there for the night. We left Groblersdal and headed southish on the N11, well it started to get dark and to be honest my ass was aching and about 13 ks further on spotted a sign for the riverside lodge..........camping.
We managed to finfd the campsite and started to set up camp........

How Hobo got his name
When camping one should
A. Have tent
B. Have all the bits
C. Check the thing before leaving home
Well Hobo did neither and ended up with a fly sheet, 1 pole and 4 pegs, Craig offered to share but hobo decided rather to make a plan, this is what he ended up spending the night in, with no sleep.................. moan moan.
Hoboathome-1.jpg
][/img]
Sometimes Hobo’s have to be dealt with...............
PaulHobobonding-1.jpg
[/img]
Breaking camp the next morning
IMG_1890.jpg
[/img]
Some people are just not morning people
IMG_1911.jpg
][/img]
Scenic next to the river
DSC00346.jpg
[/img]
We planned to meet Malibu and Mark in Middleburg at the Wimpy around 07;00 had a good breakfast and made our way to Barberton, we took off on the dirt and did a mjor loop on some of the best dirt roads I,ve ridden in a long time..................very cool and relaxing ride
DSC00344.jpg
][/img]
DSC00346.jpg
][/img]
Very Scenic
What is it you get to a stunning place and make prats of yourselves...........
Judyisthemoremasculineone.jpg
[/img]
IMG_1909.jpg
[/img]
The 990in its natural surroundings....................
img]
IMG_1906.jpg
[/img]
Mark doing the what are you still sat here like a lemon marathon

The XT taking some time to graze............

We stayed over at Malibu’s Nan in the Bush....................amazing women

The Hobo found a decent tent for the night
Lightening all around us for the whole night and no rain............
An early start all on tar back to Ellisras N4 then North on the N1, hitting rain at the second toll if followed us all the just past Vaalwater, when I say rain more like driving through a waterfall............... hectic but interesting aquaplaning at 100 tends to bring you into focus
A brilliant weekend ride
I seem to have a mind block will load more pictures once the bloody computer has stopped sending me spaz

Mark here...... your photobucket skills are like your riding skills....up to shit  >:D  :imaposer:

Thanks for a wonderful weekend and good laughs.

I will post some pics tomorrow and have my say...

Heard a rumour that the Hobo is actually gonna buy his own bike.... is he playing at the being the Columbian Drug-dealer again?

Where is that dam . My parents live in Barberton and I think it would make a good trip to the dam . I like damn dams :p

The damn dam, ride from Barberton up to the swazi border to Bulembu along the most amazing 41 kilo's of twisting tar road, and there is a dirt road off on the right, turn right, and follow... awesome dirt road.... also 40 kilo's of twisting gravel road till you see the damn dam on the right...    :biggrin: 

Ek het die plek opgespoor op Google Earth . Ek wou screenshot maak maar Mweb se webspace is nie baie user friendly nie ( endless clicking trough menus and never get the thing shared ) en ek kan nie onthou waar het ek geregistreer vir "photobucket" tipe ding nie . Hahaha . 12 uur doen dit nie vir my nie :p
26"02'31.91 S  3103'05.93 E

Listen Fluffy
I shall load some more tonight, my Photobucket skills drove me insane but I think I have the plot now..........
Thanks for the riding hit..............you hurt my feelings............. :imaposer:

Here are some of my pics......

Smoke break on the boring N4...had to meet Tagsy and co at 7.30 in Middleburg so slabed it there.
DSCF1123.jpg

Doomsday...glad to be getting away from the city an d into some clean air.
DSCF1124.jpg

After breakfast we hit some sections of gravel on the way to Badplaas, some good riding so only one pic.
DSCF1137.jpg

Tagsy trying to compette with nature.... >:D
DSCF1139.jpg

The next stop was at the dam on the way to Barbaton.
DSCF1140.jpg

Group shot
DSCF1141.jpg

I think I want one of these....very nice bike indeed.
DSCF1143.jpg

Bam wall
DSCF1147.jpg

Still on the dirt section to Barbaton, those are the Sawzi mountians in the foreground
DSCF1159.jpg

Malibu flying up
DSCF1160.jpg

Craig
DSCF1164.jpg

Tagsy
DSCF1165.jpg

more to follow soon

This man is very cool.......or gay  >:D ;D

DSCF1166.jpg

mmmmm Malibu, what you up to...pushing or patting  ;)

DSCF1169.jpg

wonderfull gravel pass, so much fun to ride.

DSCF1172.jpg

:thumleft: two very sweet bikes.

DSCF1173.jpg

and another very sweet bike

DSCF1175.jpg

Craig

DSCF1178.jpg

Malibu looking very happy..... ;D

DSCF1181.jpg

so more later

Very cool looking Dude NOT gay maybe quite happy though  :imaposer:

Bodge job on the XT the rack sort of started falling apart, by the FAG where my tyre leavers
Bodgeoftheday2-1.jpg
][/img]
Like I said the Aprikka got a tralor I think its makes the bike look better
Davesbiketrailer-2.jpg
[/img]
Sometimes you must keep the Hobo's in line
PaulHobobonding-1.jpg
[/img]
Its a bit scary what people get up too on mountain passes.........
[/img]
IMG_1909.jpg
][/img]
HoboTagsygayasfuck.jpg
[/img]

Tagsy said:
Very cool looking Dude NOT gay maybe quite happy though  :imaposer:

Bodge job on the XT the rack sort of started falling apart, by the FAG where my tyre leavers
Bodgeoftheday2-1.jpg

Like I said the Aprikka got a tralor I think its makes the bike look better
Davesbiketrailer-2.jpg

Sometimes you must keep the Hobo's in line
PaulHobobonding-1.jpg

Its a bit scary what people get up too on mountain passes.........

IMG_1909.jpg

HoboTagsygayasfuck.jpg

Only need to say img once at the beginning and end of each pic!  i.e. copy and paste the last share function in Photobucket thats drops down below each pic...

Hope that helps!  :)

Malibu said:
The damn dam, ride from Barberton up to the swazi border to Bulembu along the most amazing 41 kilo's of twisting tar road, and there is a dirt road off on the right, turn right, and follow... awesome dirt road.... also 40 kilo's of twisting gravel road till you see the damn dam on the right...    :biggrin: 

I'm planning to do that ride on Sunday... a detour to the Nelspruit Toy Run!  Have done it a couple of times, but just hope it doesn't rain the night before..

BTW... why didn't you guys pop in to say hi when you were here!!!  We do have cold beers... lots of them!!!

???

Sorry Chrissie..we were running a bit late and had to get to the farm (for cold beers  ;) ) but the next time we are there we will do a double visit  :thumleft:

Mark Hardy said:
Sorry Chrissie..we were running a bit late and had to get to the farm (for cold beers  ;) ) but the next time we are there we will do a double visit  :thumleft:

I'll hold you to it!!! BTW see the New Years Party Thread I just posted. 

Hi Chrissie, we'll be through there around the 24th, spend the next day or two with Mom and then hightail it for Augrabies and then on to Verneuk Pan... so just a short visit in Barberton!  We'll make a plan though... :)

heyyyy how can i get to that road in the mountain?? the gravel 1? that nice nice place? ???

Latest posts