Free flow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Recently put on a akro titanium silencer on the 1150. Wow, that thing is light, i'd reckon easily even less than a third of the weight compared to stock. Also lost some weight when cat was replaced by Y-piece. I would guess that therein is a total saving of around 10kg...so my pig probably weighs fully fueled 240kg..nice.

Other thing is the happiness state of the engine...wow, www says 4.4hp increase from slip on alone, but it feels more. I think the engine is happy now, and she moves!

Question: have heard warning of fitting free flow exhaust system because of a loss of back pressure which can possibly lead to a burnt valve.

Technical guru's - is this true? Supposedly, before the piston comes up for exhaust stroke (where spent gasses are expelled from cylinder) the exhaust valve starts to open (for overlap i think), some flame might come out there if there is no back pressure - burning the valve?

I'm not an expert, so..I'm not worried that the ol girl will end up in motorbike hospital, I mean most dogs with 1150's have aftermarket cans on without serious issues. Just want to know