Front rim issues, in general?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tampan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
I had this conversation with @NIMMO this morning, after I thought it over while riding to the office.

My 1190 is in absolute pristine condition, it has never been dropped and does not have one single mark on it. I'm extremely fond of the bike and I intend to keep it it in this condition.
However, in the recent past, I must have had a hit on the front wheel. As mentioned in another thread, I can't recall any hit, of any significance, that would even justify it for me to inspect the front wheel. But, there it is, an effen smiley. :mad:

Since around 2014, I haven't owned anything other than an XR650L, KTM 990 and now the 1190. My 990 had about three smiley's IIRC and now also the 1190. I get the idea that this is mainly a problem with the larger KTM's, or not necessarily?
I can't recall reading about BMW, AT, etc owners continuously complaining about how k@k their front wheels are?

My next gripe is this:
I love the tubeless tyres on my 1190 and would prefer to stay with tubeless, but I also want a stronger front rim. It seems, however, that stronger rim and tubeless wheel don't go together. Possible, but not without complications.
My previous bikes obviously had tubed wheels, which is not an issue, but I am now spoiled with tubeless. I would consider trading tubeless for a stronger wheel, but I can just imagine how extremely annoying the warning on the instrument cluster is going to be, flashing and telling me that my front tyre pressure is too low, on every single ride.
Or can this tyre pressure warning be disabled?

I'm so disappointed with this situation, ek koop sommer 'n bleddie ander fiets wat nie so k@k rim het nie.

While at it, are the BMW rims also this k@k?
(Asking for a friend .....) 😬:cool: