G 650 XChallenge Foam filter and tyres fitted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Steady

I traded my Dakar for a BMW 650 cross Challenge and thought that I would post a few pictures of the changes I make to the bike as I go along. I only picked the bike up this week and as work has gotten in the way, I have not ridden it much so I will post my impressions once I have had the chance to ride it a bit.

The very first thing I noticed about the bike is that there is no place to get a grip on the back end. I occasionally need to pull the back wheel out of a hole so wanted to get something on the bike that I could hold onto. The cross moto or xcountry has a set of handles on the back so I borrowed one and made a copy in stainless steel.

Work in progress.

RepairKit001.jpg

Fitted.

XChallenge006.jpg

The next step was a set of bark busters. Acerbis multiplo fit the bike and on they went. The bar ends are threaded so no idea why they do not come as an option at least. Anyway these are way better than the bm ones, solid and look cool as well.

XChallenge009.jpg

XChallenge004.jpg

The tail end of the bike is going to get broken sooner or later and although Touratech make a smaller one the local TT do not have any yet, might have to modify this one or make a fibreglass replacement. The stock one comes off with 4 screws a cable release and an unplug of the electrics. Very easy and makes good sense.

Before.

XChallenge007.jpg

Cable release.

XChallenge015-1.jpg

Elecrical plug.

XChallenge014.jpg

The plug and cable release are located under the seat.

After.

XChallenge018.jpg

XChallenge017.jpg

XChallenge015.jpg

Will have to get a bit of a bracket on the back to hold a number plate at least, without the tail piece I did manage to roost myself so something will need doing back there.

Planned for the future are a set of bar risers and Scott's damper, new zorst that sounds like a mad dog barking, get up close to those citi golf's with loud sound systems and show them what noise really is. Will probably fit a better bash plate that offers protection to the radiator hose and water pump housing. Next will be some mods to the air intake and so I will get onto that over the aweek-end and then set about looking for a foam filter to replace the stock paper one. Anyway, if there is enough intrest in the changes I will keep posting.

Latest posts