Garmin 62s - External Power Lost Irritation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francois.viljoen

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR400
I have a Garmin 62s that I've been using for the last 1.5 years or so.

I love the unit, it's rugged and it does exactly what I want.

However, there is one thing about the 62s that annoys the living shit out of me.

I fitted an external power source to my bike so that I can run the unit with full backlight from my bike's battery and not have to worry about carrying spare AAs with me.

When I ride very technical terrain e.g. during the Roof last year with the extreme shaking/vibration the external power source sometimes disconnects temporarily - like just for a millisecond.

This also sometimes happens when I'm running with external power while driving in my bakkie over "sinkplaat" dirt roads.

Every time this happens the GPS goes into USB mode, after which I have to wait for about a minute for the thing to realize it's not connected to a computer and load all the MAPs and settings from scratch again.

Most of the time it's OK, you have to wait for a minute for everything to come back online again. But sometimes it happens just before you have to make a turn or check your heading. On the Roof last year I overshot a turn because of this and ended up having to backtrack. Fucking annoying.

Does anyone know if there is there a setting to disable USB mode and just go directly to external power mode on the 62s?