Garmin car GPS on bike..where's the catch?

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Helenus

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Ok, this is what I need: an affordable (for me) GPS where I can plot a route (dirt roads), put it on top of my tankbank (under the clear plastic screen), whenever I get to an intersection I'll make a quick stop, see if I am still on route and how far still to go and eta. I don't need to keep an eye on or adjust anything while riding.
What can go wrong with this plan?

This Garmin DriveSmart 86 is on special for under R2000.

Last edited:

Beebop

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Just watch for overheating if you use it under the plastic window.
Cant see any other issues.

OomD

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
It might also not be as waterproof as the bike-specific models.

Edit: BTW, moerse good price that! I seem them going for R6K+

Andre01

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Ek het vir jare, 'n garmin Nuvi GPS gebruik (cheap cheap op Gumtree) in 'n GPS sakkie wat ek destyds by Bikegear gekoop het. Oor die verloop van 10 jaar het ek seker 3-4 nuvi GPS'e gekoop op gumtree. Laai GPS met T4A en dit werk perfek. Voor elke trip het ek die paar belangrikste waypoints op die GPS ge-save en dit het altyd gewerk.

Ek het onlangs egter 'n Garmin Montana 700i gekry - maar dit was eintlik agter die InReach tegnologie aan eerder as die GPS, ek travel dikwels alleen met die gesin in afgelee plekke en het nie 'n Satphone nie. Die bonus is nou dat ek die Montana op die bike ook kan gebruik.

Pyscho Porra

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR-Z 400
Try and find a Nuvi 500, it is waterproof and does not need to sit in a pouch. Also, you should be able to pick one up cheaply or might even find that someone here on the forum has one lying around they do not use

Helenus

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Try and find a Nuvi 500, it is waterproof and does not need to sit in a pouch. Also, you should be able to pick one up cheaply or might even find that someone here on the forum has one lying around they do not use

Got a 500. Don’t have a PC or Mapsource (what I need??) anymore. Battery is shot, and while you can take the battery out Garmin SA assured me that it can’t be done and there is no replacement battery. Otherwise it’s working fine, tried to create routes on it but it’s a big schlep.
Any solution to above problems?

Pyscho Porra

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR-Z 400
Use a power supply or try AliExpress for a battery.

Depending where you are, I can help loading routes on for you

Helenus

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Use a power supply or try AliExpress for a battery.

Depending where you are, I can help loading routes on for you
Great thanks a lot Norberto. I am in Pretoria, let's see how far I get. Will be in contact 👍🏼

LouisXander

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Got a 500. Don’t have a PC or Mapsource (what I need??) anymore. Battery is shot, and while you can take the battery out Garmin SA assured me that it can’t be done and there is no replacement battery. Otherwise it’s working fine, tried to create routes on it but it’s a big schlep.
Any solution to above problems?
Just leave it connected to the power source. Garmin is kak wrt navigation, Google maps is much easier to use. But they work fine when you out in the sticks.

When you load maps the USB cable will power the device to load maps.

My 276 has a dead battery, so does my zumo500. But they're on the bike and works fine. I also have used a nuvi 215w for years on my bike, rain didn't affect it and the small size and big screen was a bonus. Norberto is your man to load maps and transfer tracks, I just save way points and route to them 🤣

Can't justify paying 8-10k for a new GPS.

LouisXander

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Ek maak way points, en laai dit oor. Ry Dan van WP na WP.

Mens kan seker routes laai, I don't know

Exploratio

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
Ek het 2 keer om die land gery met n Garmin Nuvi 205 in n bracket wat ek van PVC gemaak het. Soos Louis, van waypoint na waypoint. As dit reën, plastiek sakkie oorgetrek.
Sien pics van bracket.

Attachments

• 20220925_134453.jpg
    20220925_134453.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220925_134458.jpg
    20220925_134458.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0