Garmin City Navigator South Africa v6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi Guys,

I've been using my Zumo 550 with Garmin City Navigator South Africa v6 and I have to say, it's not the best performance I've seen on a GPS so far!  I seem to have read on this forum that most ppl prefer the Trax4Africa maps much better than the garmin version.  I wonder if the T4A would solve most of the problems I have had .  So my experience is really limited, but here's my complain on the Garmin maps so far.

1) It doesn't know many places, have to input coordinates or use google maps ahead to figure out where it is, then zoom in on the GPS screen to find the spot.  Definitely not really practical while on road, especially since you don't see small roads until you zoom so much you can't see anything around it.

2) The written directions on screen are confusing, I don't know about the spoken ones, since I'm not using bluetooth in my helmet, but here's an example.  It tells me to take exit 9A on my right, so I get ready to exit the highway.  When I see the exit, it's actually on the left, and I figure out that the GPS wanted me to just keep right and NOT take the exit.  It did that several times already, I wonder if it's the norm.  For sure, it's not helping me get used to riding on the left side of the road, as I have to make quick decisions / lane change not to follow what my GPS tells me.

Now, I know there are many threads about T4A and Garmin, but I'm not sure if they are about the current versions of these maps.  Does anyone have experience with both maps?  Any advices on what I should do, stick with garmin and get use to it's shortcomings or go for T4A or something else?  T4A seems to be quite decent having read about it a little bit.  I'm gonna stick mainly to roads to begin with and eventually get into offroad, but my main need is to have a set of maps that has most roads, villages and other POI on it, obviously.  And roads that would be seen on the screen without zooming too much.

Thanks.