Garmin display going bananas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Rhino

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
My Zumo 660 was the last source of reliability on my recent trip, I was ready to toss it out.  :dousing:

Firstly, the roads were not in synch with my current location. I would be driving in space with roads alongside me or at times cutting right through them.

Secondly, the routes I had mapped were on a completely different offset. At times I had the road coming across from the right and the route (the purple line) cutting across from the left.

I have never had this problem before so I'm assuming that I'm one of a few. I'm on my third GPS, first one was donated to the person that cleaned the plane from Paris to Rome.

The second one got its knickers in a knot and was immediately replaced by Garmin.

I also found out the hard way that having multiple maps like SA and T4A one one device causes problems. So I restricted mine to one Map on my planning and the same map on my Garmin (SA Topo 2012).

I also got the latest firmware and MapSource from Garmin (I must say they were very helpful). They even swapped out a 1Gig SD card for a 2Gig card.

So I recalculated all my routes with the same Map and downloaded all the routes.

On initial inspection all seemed OK.

However when I was on my way via Stellenbosch to Franschhoek, the unit lost its marbles. Roads went all skew and the route lost it's detailed plotting and only had straight lines going in completely different directions to the floating roads and had no bearing on where the vehicle was either.

I did things like re-import, recalculate, stop and reload and switching off an on.

I had 9 days of this shit. The only thing that sometimes worked was switching off for a minute, it occasionally sorted itself out and worked for a while.

I had occasions when the route re-correct itself part way through the journey but only on two out of at least thirty occasions.

Has anybody had similar experiences?