Garmin Nuvi 1310 or why it won't work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worsie

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
I have never been one for a GPS on a bike, mostly because I don't understand how to use a GPS properly.

I know the lingo - plotting routes on Basecamp and importing to your GPS, etc, but I don't know how to do it  :-[ ;I just use a GPS like I do google maps -  choose the destination and follow the prompts.I have found that if you are in a group there is normally one person there with a GPS (and knowing how to use it!) so I got by that way.  :imaposer:

I do however need a GPS now and again on the bike and the plan was to buy a proper RAM mount and use my cell phone (I know google maps is not the same and there are places where there is no cell phone signal, but that is not generally my application). I have friends who experienced issues with their Apple phones on the bike and then this was confirmed by the BBC article (also posted on here).

So back to square 1. For my needs it does not make sense to buy a R6000 Zumo or even a R3000-R4000 used one. Then it struck me the other day - why can't I use my Nuvi 1310 that my wife bought me yonks ago? It's in my bakkie and I use it now and again (mostly because it's there and then I feel I use it at least), but for the most part it's just there. The big plus is that I don't have to purchase anything (except the mount for the bike).

I know it's not waterproof, but that's ok, I won't ride with it in the rain. It's also got the SD card slot so I can buy the Tracks4Africa SD card from Flying Brick. So I'm thinking of buying a RAM mount (with the claw) then I can swop it between my wife's bike and mine (depending on where it's needed).

So is there any reason why I can't use it on my bike with the Tracks4Africa SD card?