Gas stove and oven: Any suggestions?

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

bartman

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
So Mommy saw some friends gas oven and stove and decided that Daddy already has too much money. So she wants one as well.
Mommy wants gas oven and stove so that Eksdom loadshedding wont stop her from baking/cooking etc. None of this gas stove and electric oven nonsense......
What suggestions do you have in terms of brand, size and where to buy.
TIA

mox

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Look at a Bosch 60cm all gas.
Having said that, what does No1 want to do with the oven? Regular cooking it should be fine but gas always has less control for baking etc than electric oven.

bartman

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Regular/normal cooking as well baking as a "hobby".
I understand that gas isnt as precise as electric oven, but is it that variable?

hedleyj

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
Smeg not as expensive as it seems. We have had the smeg for years now. No trouble or hassle just works.

dieterf

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I used a gas oven for years, actually works better once you're used to it, the heat is drier which has it's advantages.
The new units have good control, just check, some models go to pilot flame mode and some switch off entirely and need electricity to spark up again when they reheat.

luv2ride

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
We have a Bosch for around 7 years. Works perfectly, wife bakes a lot and it works fine. It "needs" electricity to ignite, but you can also use a "log nose" push button gas "braai lighter" to ignite it when the power is off

Mpandla

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Gas oven itself lends itself quite well to baking because its a slow heat, compared to a electric oven. Similarly for slow roasting
Though I still use gas hob, electric over purely because we do more than just bake and I didnt want to sit with the added gas usage.
We have a 90cm Meireles stove that has served us very well for a number of years. Biggest thing we looked for was the type of burners used on the hobs

Obviously, having the oven as a gas unit has the advantage that you could use it during loadshedding if you have power to the unit, where the normal one would be off.

Mpandla

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
And to add.. if you have the space, get a 90cm. Apart from having a bigger oven, you have more space at the hobs which makes life so much easier.

Smittie2

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
We have a SMEG all gas, its cheap and cheap on gas as well, just remember, it has an electric fan in, I think it will effect the baking process, maybe not spreading the heat evenly if not running, dont know, but it has a lekke rotisserie in as well.

Sardine

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
My Mom had a SMEG gas stove/oven, with the 6-plates.
Lots of trouble getting parts and having repairs done, which wound up being quite expensive each time.

I think my sister has Bosch, very happy with it.

ClimbingTurtle

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Shop around - and compare apples with apples - we bought a 75cm Whirlpool 5-plate gas hob and a Defy 90cm electric oven - separate units - that I installed and then got a gas contractor to do the gas piping on.
My only comment on the gas would be - make sure you get the biggest, hottest burning (BTU's I think) gas plates available - if you want to stir=fry something, do it properly - you can turn them down, but full is full and you dont get hotter.
Gas ovens are way better than they used to be, and if I had the choice, I would get a 90cm gas oven - at least you can cook a Turkey AND the Potato's together, and not bugger around.....

Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
When we went solar and gas in a small kitchen we went for a Bosch hob and it seemed that only SMEG had an undercounter 600 mm gas oven.

SMEG IS outrageously expensive but I contacted the SMEG soiled goods centre and got one for less than half retail.

It has electronic ignition and an electrical fan, this needs an UPS supply, but you can legally run it from a 9kg bottle inside of a cupboard.

wooly bugger

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Buell Ulysses XB12
Shop around - and compare apples with apples - we bought a 75cm Whirlpool 5-plate gas hob and a Defy 90cm electric oven - separate units - that I installed and then got a gas contractor to do the gas piping on.
My only comment on the gas would be - make sure you get the biggest, hottest burning (BTU's I think) gas plates available - if you want to stir=fry something, do it properly - you can turn them down, but full is full and you dont get hotter.
Gas ovens are way better than they used to be, and if I had the choice, I would get a 90cm gas oven - at least you can cook a Turkey AND the Potato's together, and not bugger around.....
avoid Whirlpool like the plague.
biggest load of crap south of the equator.
and north.

Smittie2

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I am old school, dont like the eletronic displays and shit, so bought the plain SMEG 6plate, gas oven, had problems ones with the oven, that did not want to keep the flame when ignited, was an small probe problem, ordered it from SMEG in Cape Town and installed it myself, very easy. 5 Years back when I bought, it was the best priced out of the lot, be aware if you start playing with this funny colours, you are going to pay.

bg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250L
Our stove and hob (defy gemini thermofan) was built into our kitchen years ago, my biggest challenge was finding appliances that would fit as I was super allergic to removing cupboards, the timber used also no longer readilly available. Eventually went for a Whirlpool gas hob and a defy electric oven.

Wife happy with gas hob

ClimbingTurtle

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
avoid Whirlpool like the plague.
biggest load of crap south of the equator.
and north.
🤣🤣
In spite of that, we have been very happy with the Whirlpool hob - but another note - ours has the operation knobs at the front of the hob, closet to you - bad plan - they get damaged as you drag your pot of Beef Curry closer to serve, and get scratched etc., - Rather look for knobs that run up the side - thats what I would do next time - Whirlpool or not......

Oshkosh

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Bought an AEG 5 X Burner Gas Hob from one of the Missus's Clients 20 odd Years Ago have not had any Problems besides cleaning the Jet Nozzles when they clog up from Algae (which is seldom)! Electric Oven has Taken a back seat as we use the Solar Dome, Mealthy Pressure Cooker & Air Frier instead.