Getting acquainted with the legendary KTM 990 Adv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinusvdb

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
"Hi my name is Tinus, and I recently bought a 2009 KTM 990 Adventure"

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=262224.0

When I saw this add, I just knew there was something about that specific 990, and that I had to have it. A gut feel that I can not explain. The KTM 990 is one of those "bucket list bikes"

Another factor may be because I broke my arm in a serious off with my Triumph Scrambler 1200xe the week before, and the scrambler was probably going to get written off. (luckily it is getting fixed too)

I sent [member=12062]Africamike[/member] a PM, and later that day Nuch the owner phoned. What a nice guy!

Being paranoid about the low mileage, I checked the VIN number with KTM, the last official service was in 2010 @ 15146km. The questions started mounting. It is on 18700km now... Hmmm was the bike in an accident ? Why has it only done 3600km in 10 years ? I decided to go check it out anyway.

The next evening I drove through to Dinokeng, looked at the bike, really tried to find some kind of indication that it has been abused, but... nothing. Nuch gave me a beer while I inspected the bike...

• no dings or scratches on rims
  • no crazy boot wear on engine casings
  • date codes on tyres.... front 2008, rear 2012
  • start motor - sounds great, runs quiet
  • oil leaks... none
  • bash plate marks - nothing crazy
  • rust on bike - almost nothing

Tried to ride the bike up and down the road even though my clutch hand was in a cast ;D, fucking painful buth worth it.

Got back to the house, shook Nuch's hand - SOLD, had a beer, did paperwork, had a beer, and then continued kuiering with Nuch, Mike, and neighbours. It turned out to be such a lekker evening.

I have also since had great chats with [member=13184]Noneking[/member] and [member=18424]GeenSand[/member] in my effort to get to know and service the machine, such good okes!

So here is my experience with the KTM 990 Adventure...

P.S - I have to this day only ridden it around the block, so I am still to take it out for a ride after fitting panels etc back