Getting technical on helmets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boertjie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Yeah, I've seen all the threads on which helmet. I however have a philosophy of... what is the value of the difference...

Now, I am currently riding with a HJC CS-12 helmet... retails for about R1100. It is CE approved, constructed of Glass Fibre Re-inforced plastic and have worked well for me over years. I had a fall (a good while back) where I bumped my head reasonable hard on the tar and there was no structual damage to the outer shell... also no sign of inner damage. Just a few scratches and a semi destroyed visor.

I have been looking at the helmets everyone raves about... Arai Tour X etc... that retails for about six to seven grand. I noticed that these helmets are alos made of GRP and weighs just about the same... which suggests that roughly the same amount of material is used... leading to the same kind of shell strength I would guess.

My question is... what is the technical difference between these helmets. Is there a standard set of tests that suggest that there is a significant measurable difference in the protection provided in the case of a reasonable accident? Is there an indication that an Arai Tour X3 would withstand an impact of (let us say) up to 60km ph before it will crack open, and another will crack at 56, and yet another at 26?? Alternatively has anybody measured the accelleration of the head inside the helmet on impact to show shock absorption on impact etc? I guess that a full direct impact at high speeds with another object that will stop your momentum will cause such damage to all organs that a cracked helmet or not would not make a huge difference?

Is there any sound technical evidence that suggest that one helmet is better than the other... or are we back to preference and marketing? Obviously there are differences... open face helmets, leather pilot style cap helmets, Harley riders' pispotte, GRP and pure plastic helmets etc. Also carbon fibre will be lighter than GRP for the same strength. I am talking comparisons of apples with apples. GRP with GRP helmets.

Should I just buy a new HJC CS12 every year or do I buy an Arai every 5th year?

This is not an attempt to restart a discussion of which brand... purely a technical question whether the difference in pricing is reflected in the specification of the helmet.

Latest posts