Good to be on board!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 900 Scrambler
Hi guys, thanks for letting me in!
I've recently sold my Triumph 1200 Explorer after loving it for the last 6 years. However I'm not blessed with the longest legs (short-ar$e actually) and just over the last year or so I've just not felt as comfortable or confident on it anymore when riding at lower speeds and coming to stops as I have been in all the previous years. Not sure why - maybe I'm shrinking!!  :eek:
Anyway I made a massive different move and bought a new Triumph Street Scrambler and absolutely loving it and being able to flat foot both sides for the first time in 6 years! I hope that I'm still allowed on this Adventure riding group with my Street Scrambler....??!! I've taken it on the dirt and it actually feels better than my Explorer did to my mind. Definitely feels like I can stuff around a lot more off-road than I could on my Explorer as my centre of gravity is that much lower. I know I can't do anything major hectic off-road but that's never my intention - more farm roads, off-road tracks, etc.
I am finding it so much easier and just full-on fun to ride. Much easier for me to jump on it and shoot off to the shops, etc where I would not normally do that on my Explorer - just a mission at it's height for me to pull out the garage and head out.

So my first bigger trip on my Street Scrambler is now starting to be planned for later this year - a mainly dirt road / back farm road leisurely trip over 5 / 6 days from JHB to Cape Town. It will be me and 2 / 3 of my mates and not rushing or big long distances per day. Be at our destination early afternoon every day and then spend the rest of the afternoon having a couple of beers at local BnB's where we plan on staying on this trip (not camping) and just stuffing around.
If anyone has done this sort of a trip before and can pass on some routes, tips and definite places to make sure we visit on the way I'd appreciate it.

I've been on the US-based Adventure Rider Group since around 2005 but for some reason have never signed up here! Great to be on a local site and look forward to all the info and banter (I'm sure!).
Thanks, once again.
Gary