Green Desert Roundabout (Upington - Keimoes - Kakamas) Now with pics!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doringboom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
To Ama Ride Ride (the one who went searching in the archives and who found one of my old [Nov 2006] Ride Reports, of which the pictures have gone on awol in the meantime) and some other recently disappointed Forum members:

Herewith a relaunch of my Green Desert Roundabout Reports - Parts 1 and 2 now combined and with some extra pictures. Ama, I hope this will be of great help in the planning of your freetime (riding your bike of cause!) when you are soon on a visit to Upington!

Hello everybody,

I recently spent a few days of leave with family in Upington in the Northern Cape. The journey from Pretoria to Upington via the N14 and back (2 x 810km) was, as always, a rather boring tar road affair. Therefore no story or pictures about this.

What I do want to share with you are my (short) story and plenty of pictures about a very scenic day-trip the Tiger and I made (Tuesday, 7 Nov) from Upington via Keimoes to Kakamas on predominantly gravel roads all along the southern bank of the Orange River. This is opposed to the N14 tar road that runs along the northern bank and which I took for the return leg back to Upington.

The theme of my story and pictures focuses on the diverse character of this beautiful region. On the one hand you have the Orange River and its life-giving water and on the other hand you have a harsh, barren landscape where only the toughest of species can survive.

Enough said. Its time for pictures!

Firstly a map of SA to orientate all the Forumers living in far-away countries.

kaart.jpg

Here are the bridges over the Orange River in Upington.

upt2.jpg

upt3.jpg

And here is one of Upington's famous landmarks: The palm tree-lined avenue that leads to the Eiland Holiday Resort, across the river directly opposite the downtown area.

upt1.jpg

Immediately south of the river I took the Jooste-eiland road. It is the access road to numerous irrigation farms and small holdings. After a kilometre or two it becomes a gravel road. I stopped to deflate the tyres somewhat.

upt4.jpg

The principal business in this part of the world is grape cultivation. Everywhere the vineyards are in full bloom.

upt7.jpg

I took the narrow road next to the channel just to get on top of this small hill. To continue with this road could also make for an interesting ride, but a smaller and lighter bike would be more appropriate I guess.

upt6.jpg

An irrigation channel runs parallel to the river. Here's some magic: The channel and water disappear into nothing all of a sudden, but fifty or so metres onward everything reappears out of nothing again!

upt5.jpg

Vineyards are everywhere. The buildings of Upington are visible in the distance.

upt8.jpg

I continued pass Louisvale towards Kanoneiland. The road has become a tar road again. Where there is water, there is life! These vineyards are where there earlier had been only barren veld, far away from the river flood plain.

upt9.jpg

Oranjerivier Wine Cellars' grape juice plant.

upt10.jpg

A narrow bridge leads to Kanoneiland from the southern side of the river. Kanoneiland ("Cannon Island") is the largest island in the flow of the Orange River.

upt15.jpg

Some local beauties on a gentle stroll across the bridge.

upt13.jpg

upt16.jpg

upt14.jpg

upt12.jpg

"liquor store"

upt11.jpg

I continued towards Keimoes. The road has turned to a gravel road again. Here is an example of the more rural / traditional homesteads of the Eksteenskuil settlement.

upt17.jpg

While I stopped to take pictures, I was spotted by some of the local two-wheel enthusiasts. They immediately jumped into their saddles to come and say hello.

upt18.jpg

upt19.jpg

The road further winds through a hilly, rocky and succulent covered landscape towards Keimoes. The river drops out of view for a few kilometres.

upt20.jpg

upt21.jpg

On reaching the Kenhardt - Keimoes tar road, I turned right to enter the town of Keimoes across a succession of narrow bridges. Tierberg ("Tiger Mountain") stands guard over the town and the vineyards.

upt28.jpg

After having a cooldrink at a garage, I followed the cement road through the Tierberg Nature Reserve and up the slopes of Tierberg to the summit.

upt22.jpg

From here one gets amazing views in all directions - of the town, the river, the vineyards, etc. Keimoes is often referred to as a little piece of Boland in the Northern Cape.

upt23.jpg

upt24.jpg

upt25.jpg

upt26.jpg

upt27.jpg

I returned the way I came and across the river from Keimoes, at Neilersdrif, I hit the gravel road due west to Kakamas.

kei1.jpg

After the road initially passes some access roads to irrigation farms and small holdings, it later leads to a more desolate landscape further away from the river. All the succulents and rocky ridges make for interesting stops along the way.

kei2.jpg

kei3.jpg

A quiver tree.

kei4.jpg

kei5.jpg

kei6.jpg

Further on the road makes a gradual ascend across the face of a ridge next to the river. It allows for an amazing view over the whole river basin.

kei7.jpg

kei9.jpg

kei8.jpg

kei10.jpg

A vineyard on the outskirts of Kakamas. The razor mesh fence is to prevent theft and trespassing. (It is SA after all!)

kei11.jpg

On entering Kakamas the presence of water wheels on the irrigation channel soon catches one's eye. It always is an amusing experience to stand and watch one while turning.

kei16.jpg

kei14.jpg

kei15.jpg

And some more vineyards!

kei12.jpg

kei13.jpg

After having another cooldrink and inflating the tyres again, it was time to return to Upington. By then I was boiling in my clothes and I was in need of speed to cool down somewhat. 36 Degrees Celsius was forecasted for the day, which is still far off the 40+ degrees that is often reached in this part of SA during peak summer.

Total distance for the day: 205km.

Groete

Doringboom

Hey Doringboom

Thanks for sharing.

Jon

Beautiful pictures!!
I was born in Upinton, grew up in the vineyards for the first 4 years of my life.
Great report!!!!

More!

Thanks for the report and pics, never thought that part of the world had such great scenery. :thumbright:

Nice one there.

The Chalets on the left as you go out of Keimoes toward Upington, by the bridge, are great. The chalets are comfortable and air conditioned and clean and reasonably priced. The water feature is great with lotsa ducks and the springbokkies roam around freely on the lawn and the pool is excellent to cool off in.

Spent a few weekends there - but food can be a problem - the menu is a little limited and on a Sunday afternoon there is not much open in Upington.

But a seriously nice place to ride - jus a bit hawt in samma.

Kaboef said:
Beautiful pictures!!
I was born in Upinton, grew up in the vineyards for the first 4 years of my life.

More!

:twisted: explains alot :twisted: :D :D

nice report and pics, love that part of the would :) :)

Goeie genade :eek: Terwyl julle moet werk grawe julle in die argiewe rond :D

Sorry, the picture host (filehigh.com) I made use of at the time went "off air". I received an apology e-mail from them some time ago - maybe financial difficulties or something along that line.

Part 2 (Keimoes to Kakamas) should also be somewhere in the archives.

Hey Doringboom, those pictures bring back good old memories.

I spent my highschool career in Keimoes and "tamed" all those roads on my mighty 50cc Yamaha RD. Although it was a road bike it was like an Avis rental, it could take on any road.

Although extremely hot in summer it has the best grapes in the country. The Sultanas are so sweet you can't eat a lot of it due to the high sugar content.

The school in Keimoes had it Centenery celebrations in 2003 and we had a hell of a time there during the festivities.

Nice pictures and a great report.