Grootrivier Poort- EC Update.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard

Teelhond
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Bie and I took an unexpected and unplanned ride through the GRP today.(Steytlerville to Patensie) Sorry no pics or RR, but I thought it good to give an update on the coditions incase you planning a ride.

He rode his F800GS and I was on the R80. The big 1200's will battle and be exposed to risk, but it can be done if you rate your skill.

The road is rough and the going slow. Lots of ruts, drop-offs, rock outcrops and loose rocks. You have to pick your line very carefully. If your bike has good clearance you're ok. The G/S was too low.

Conditions were dry with the river crossings about a foot deep. The Northern(shorter) crossing is a bit rough and we choose to paddle through safely. The other crossing we could ride through, no problem.

Is it safe to ride ? Yes, provided your technical skills are good. Not meant for a novice. Its definately a challenge and would rate somewhere between a Orange and Red route. We enjoyed it and I'm bone tired from having to stand up all the way through(no time for posing, you have to consentrate to hard).

Hope it gives you an idea. Enjoy and ride safely.