GSV clutch slip and "Rumble"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
OK so a couple of issues, one is I am a listener, the gearbox changes OK does everything fine, but I hear rumbles in the gearbox at tick over and the clutch doesnt BITE off the line under full gas in first and second but no trace of slip in 5th and 6th?

THEN the net is full of issues on spline wear etc etc, spline lubes and other work, so the GSV has never been apart in 110,00kms it therefore is a suspect for spline wear, dry splines, and a dozen other issues I cannot remember  8)

So I drained the gearbox and strained the oil, clean no debris  :biggrin:

So I dropped the gearbox and firstly found a soaking wet slave cylinder, the question is was it the slave or the push rod seal, still not sure I tried to pressurize the slave and popped the circlip into a distant corner never to be found again, I do not think it was the slave ::)

clutch022.jpg

The alternative is the seal will change it as well
clutch025.jpg

When investigating the gearbox, I found it has a magnetic plug that no one services ::) ::) the magnetic plug had some debris, but expected from a previous issue with shifting linkage, the debris is gear related not bearing O0

clutch027.jpg

The splines were dry as a bone, but in good nick I was seriously worried about those, did not fancy a new input shaft job :p
clutch033.jpg

clutch034.jpg

clutch032.jpg

But clutch plate was down to around 5mm so definitely needs a swap out, minimum is about 4.8 if I remember right, but generally Iam happy with general condition no input output seals or spline issues :biggrin: 8)