Have (new) bike - will Ride.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guys that came from PE apparently did get some drizzle along the way and at one point on the Cockcomb road it did rain, but after that we had a beautiful day. Up my way not a single drop. I think you must have known the roads would be a bit rough for you, especially being on a 950. :pot:

Hey J-mo - waar is die video's man ? Ek is nuuskierig.

Nice RR Hando!

My vrou moes heeldag hoor hoe ek wonder wat julle klomp nou aanvang, so ek was daar saam met julle in die gees. Kyk ek na die foto's en video dan lyk dit julle het great ride gehad.

Volgende keer join ek, maak nie saak of die Queen kom kuier nie  :thumleft:

ja ja

Dis wat jy nou se . ;)

maar nee , Kudu potjie was mos belangriker.

LOL

Nice one guys.......Very lekker day trip with a bit of everything thrown in. Thanks :thumleft:

manne, next time i want in..im also in uitenhage with an ol Funduro..hanno call me sometime 4133 in product engineering ons plan ook n ride soon..
craig

Hando said:
sml_IMG_7398.jpg

I see your Chameleon and raise you one  ;D

DSC04641Small.jpg

Nice trip btw  :thumleft:

What a truly Gr8 RR Hando.

That scoot you got there really looks the buisness. Looks like you guys had a wonderful time.
Love that "Sossatie Braai" you guys had in the middle of the road :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: That is what you truly call,... doing it in style!!

I look fwd to many more RR's from your side of the world. :ricky:

My contribution to Hanno’s first ride. It started off with an idea and a map.

7990.jpg

And it progressed to a photo of a road on my bucket list, which got an immediate approval stamp from Bie.

7995.jpg

The weather did not play along, so the ride was called off twice, but squeezed on three times, so guess who won. It was still drizzling when I and Jupiter met at the Caltex garage. That’s where I first fell in love with that R80G/S. You know how it’s like if you talk to somebody and it’s difficult to look them in the eye because of their assets. It was the same with Jupiter and his Beemer. I’m not exaggerating, I grew up with these airheads, but it was mostly tourers. To see an airhead out of that era, but a fully fledged DS bike made my day.

Me and Jupiter off to meet up with Hanno at the Total garage.

8000l.jpg

We all shook hands with the guest of honour and off we went.

8001b.jpg

As I’ve said, I just had to give a stare back at the old lady.

8002p.jpg

Can you see what I saw?  I never saw anybody so excited to do a ride.

8003.jpg

The Cockscomb road was slippery and it was a little concern to me because of Hanno’s front Anakee. So I monitored him in my mirror as we went along. At one stage I looked in my mirror and Hanno was gone. I felt how the blood drained from my head. That sick numb feeling started to flow over me like a raging river. I turned around rushed back and as I got over a little hill, there they were, taking photos. I was so relieved to see them both upright and OK.

8004r.jpg

No photographer in his right mind can resist such a scene and I decided to forgive him for giving me a heart attack.

8005f.jpg

Jupiter and his beautiful R80G/S

8006.jpg

As soon as we’ve continued on our trip, the rain came down.

8007c.jpg

The Cockscomb road is usually a Gravel highway, but the recent rain took its toll.

8008ea.jpg

At the turnoff toward Glenconnor  we stopped for a quick pic.

8009a.jpg

I had problems with my visor fogging up, so I decide to take out the backup.

8010v.jpg

Our own Hanno, the master photographer.

8011u.jpg

Please pardon me if there’s too many pics of the R80G/S, or can there be too much??

8012j.jpg

Lots of water in the area.

8013.jpg

I took a snapshot of the weather building up toward Uitenhage when I discovered (showing only on the Cam) that what I saw there was my helmet strap. I rode for about 16km without my helmet secured. I remember afterward that when I met up with Bie, my Helmet strap was loose and I thought I loosen it already. I don’t know if this ever happened to you, but that was the first time it happened to me. A big reminder to me to make sure the helmet is secured. I share it with you to be more aware that things like this can happen.

8014y.jpg

The weather toward Wolwefontein didn’t look that bright either.

8015.jpg

Must admit it’s not the most exiting road I’ve ridden.

8016s.jpg

Arrival at Glenconnor and Bie was waiting across the road.

8017y.jpg

The first time I’ve met Jupiter, the first time I’ve met Hanno, and the first time I’ve met Bie. A bunch of strangers from the Wilddog family. It panned out very well. Bie invited us for a hot mug of coffee at his parents farm. We all agree that it was a brilliant idea as the temperature was around 10°C all the time.

8018d.jpg

And off we went toward my “bucket list” road. It was here were we’ve encountered the road that was washed away asI’ve already showed in a previous clip.

8019i.jpg

A small distance into the road and we were on Bie’s parents’ farm. We were greeted with the hospitality you only get from farmers.

8020.jpg

After Coffee and rusks, we were off  again.

8021.jpg

We must have crossed that river about 10 times. Here’s a sequence of photos with Bie leading us.

8022p.jpg

8023au.jpg

8024i.jpg

8025i.jpg

8027.jpg

8028.jpg

The river on the right

8026g.jpg

I was looking back to see if Hanno keeps up. No problem, he rode like a pro.

8029l.jpg

And that’s where Bie decided to have a sosatie braai. In the middle of a public road. This was not in the original plan, but it’s events like this that make as trip a memorable one.

8030e.jpg

We gathered some wood laying around and Bie started the fire.

8031u.jpg

I took the time to take some photos of the moment.

8032.jpg

8033z.jpg

8034u.jpg

8035b.jpg

8036c.jpg

8037d.jpg

8038k.jpg

The last stretch of this road was more rustig, with a crossing or two.

8039j.jpg

8040.jpg

There were a few gates to negotiate on the next stretch, but it was all worth it.

Bie

8041v.jpg

Hanno

8042m.jpg

Jupiter our voluntary sweeper.

8043s.jpg

A sloot in the road.

8044u.jpg

Hanno going through like a pro
8046c.jpg

8047g.jpg

The old Lady stretch het legs and even popped us a little wheelie.

8048.jpg

8049e.jpg

Some patches had a lot of sand.

8050.jpg

And this patch almost had me.

8051.jpg

Hanno went through it like a knife through butter. The sand patch is just before the gate and I got a bit fixated on the little sand wall next to the track and guess what happened? It sucked me in and almost saw my behind.

[flash=854,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/4Waf7M9R03k[/flash]

Mud, but again, it did not faze Hanno. I’m telling you, he’s either not as green as he says he is or he’s a natural.

8052.jpg

8053n.jpg

[flash=854,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/Dx22aNl1-0U[/flash]

Bie gave us a bit of history on the area.

8054.jpg

The MAN. I seldom saw Hanno without a grin of some sort.

8055g.jpg

We saw some Bokkies next to the road.

8056f.jpg

[flash=854,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/o9V5kqJmEmI[/flash]

The aloe plants were in flower. It was a nice contrast to the greenery.

8057w.jpg

8058s.jpg

Beautiful area.

[flash=854,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/RXPgDzfUTM0[/flash]

Hanno mentioned that he had difficulty with the loose gravel. It was quite slippery.

[flash=854,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/aymXWi8fenQ[/flash]

More water crossings

8059a.jpg

8060d.jpg

Some locals

8061.jpg

I rode next to Hanno but couldn’t retrieve the video for some reason, so I snapshot it.

8062.jpg

This is where we ran out of gravel.

8063.jpg

The road to Kirkwood.

[flash=854,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/qsNiyGYJlWQ[/flash]

Chameleon restaurant

[flash=854,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/Zh6Z4uoEofI[/flash]

The plan was to have breakfast at the Chameleon but nobody was hungry after Bie’s sosaties.

8064.jpg

A coffee and toasted samie was all we could manage.

8065xo.jpg

The Chameleon bar. I wondered how many dogs would burn this bar if it could talk.

8066.jpg

It was time to depart. Bie was heading back in the direction of Jansenville and we were off to PE/Uitenhage.

8067.jpg

Jupiter spot something hanging loose from Hannos back bag and Hanno secured it.

8068d.jpg

We were riding out of Kirkwood when I decided it was time to fly home. Wave the guys goodbye and off I went while Hanno and Jupiter disappeared in my mirror.
[flash=854,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/q1_0gF6z7fs[/flash]

The clouds over PE really looked intimidating.

8069.jpg

20km before Uitenhage the first rain started to bucket down.

8070g.jpg

Passed Makro in PE it was bucketing down.

8071v.jpg

I was almost home and I just wondered where Jupiter was since I dropped them just outside Kirkwood. I wondered what time he would be home since me “gooied” it to PE.

Guess what happened next?!?!?!?

She may be old, but with age there’s wisdom. Jupiter, maybe you must enlighten me with the route you took as it must have been way faster than mine.

[flash=854,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/1R0APggH2TY[/flash]

It was an awesome trip. The trip consists of a bit of everything. We had a ball of a time, and I will ride with you dogs anytime.

Thanks Hanno, Jupiter and BIE.

Thank you for your excellent contribution J-mo !!!!

I was great to ride with you guys. We must do so again.

In fact , I am thinking of doing Elandsrivier and the entry to Groot rivier on Saturday.