Have you owned both a 990 and now a T7? - Weigh in below!

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

EtienneNXR

Bachelor Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I came out of the womb a 990 guy - it always made sense, I've owned 4 (950, 990, 990S and last edition 990)

They're amazing, albeit a bit archaic now compared to the modern bikes, but it's still a timeless design.

But here comes the T7, for a little more than what you pay for a perfect last edition 990R you can get a new T7, which on paper makes a lot of sense - even the "latest" 990 you're buying for R130k+ now is still a 10 year old bike and comes with 10 year old bike issues.

I've been pretty set on getting a T7 in SA, however there is one really big factor that I'm struggling to come to grips with - 70hp vs 110hp that is a HUGE reduction in power - I never matured as a rider and still ride like an absolute child, on the 990 rarely is there a time when I pull away that I'm not trying to be on the rear wheel and generally just misbehaving and acting like a twat, searching for the red line through every corner on dirt, going through a rear tyre on a weekend trip ect.

I now have the chance to pickup what seems to be a showroom condition 990R with very low milage, I'm not in SA for another 3 or so weeks so am unable to ride a T7 between now and then. Not too worried about suspension as this can be solved however you can't realistically throw money at a T7 and find 40hp.

The question comes down to this for those that have owned, or at least ridden both - will the T7 be punchy enough to satisfy my very immature riding style or is it much more of a tame ride?

Last edited:

KnopKop

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Don't bother with a T7 if you had a 990.....
Yes the T7 is a great bike with loads of new tech and stuff, but it you will never give you the smile that the proper 990 gave you.....

My 2c ;)

73 Peanut

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
I haven't seen any reviews where guys complain about not having enough power . The 990 for 130k most likely has all the bells and whistles including good suspension. If I was 10 years younger I would buy a T7 .

Aprilian

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
I had 990 SMT - but discovered I prefer low down torque and despise chain slap. High revs and topend not my thing - T7 every day of the week

Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
I test rode the T7 on 3 occasions as I really thought it would replace my 990.

It’s a great bike with fantastic engine. Perfect for adv riding.

I was put off by the horrible suspension and the lack of excitement riding the bike. The motor just does not give you that KTM grin.

The T7 fanboys love to say you can’t use 100hp on dirt. Any hooligan that loves his KTM will tell you that’s nonsense….😈

EtienneNXR

Bachelor Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I had 990 SMT - but discovered I prefer low down torque and despise chain slap. High revs and topend not my thing - T7 every day of the week
I’m still really keen on coming to ride yours, but having serious lack of impulse buying control on my side is a problem!

sidetrack

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Lap record holder
Romaniacs finisher
Highest altitude motorcycle ride
Africa Eco race winner

Anyone seen the seeker videos ?

Most important it’s a Tenere and this a Legend

Kobus Myburgh

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
You reach an age where you make peace with your ability. That's the time you trade your 990 for a T7.

I'm saying this tongue in cheek, but also not. I have no experience with a T7, but I had a 990 for long, and subsequently made peace with my ability. Although I yearn for a 990 again, I won't buy one.

Fenderbender

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So , he can ride . Bet someone can do that with a AT aswell....

dirtWarp

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Lol at the 990 being one dimensional.

That bike sports the full package.
It's got power, suspension, Dakar racer looks, trophy truck sounds, sexappeal for ever