Have you owned both a 990 and now a T7? - Weigh in below!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtienneNXR

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
I came out of the womb a 990 guy - it always made sense, I've owned 4 (950, 990, 990S and last edition 990)

They're amazing, albeit a bit archaic now compared to the modern bikes, but it's still a timeless design.

But here comes the T7, for a little more than what you pay for a perfect last edition 990R you can get a new T7, which on paper makes a lot of sense - even the "latest" 990 you're buying for R130k+ now is still a 10 year old bike and comes with 10 year old bike issues.

I've been pretty set on getting a T7 in SA, however there is one really big factor that I'm struggling to come to grips with - 70hp vs 110hp that is a HUGE reduction in power - I never matured as a rider and still ride like an absolute child, on the 990 rarely is there a time when I pull away that I'm not trying to be on the rear wheel and generally just misbehaving and acting like a twat, searching for the red line through every corner on dirt, going through a rear tyre on a weekend trip ect.

I now have the chance to pickup what seems to be a showroom condition 990R with very low milage, I'm not in SA for another 3 or so weeks so am unable to ride a T7 between now and then. Not too worried about suspension as this can be solved however you can't realistically throw money at a T7 and find 40hp.

The question comes down to this for those that have owned, or at least ridden both - will the T7 be punchy enough to satisfy my very immature riding style or is it much more of a tame ride?

Last edited: