Hello Dogs, May I Have Your Help Rebuilding My Old Toyota 5VZ-FE????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you do?

• Rebuilt Dressed Long Block $4200?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rebuilt Long Block $3800?

• Rebuilt Short Block $2100?

• Part her out and put her out to pasture?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

big oil

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Ladies and gentlemen, let me take you back to my days when I was self-employed and contracted with big oil.

I'll make this short  :peepwall:

I was ruining my Range Rovers paint finish running around the hollers of western Pennsyltucky, West Virginia, and southeast Ohio.

I decided to purchase something small, maneuverable, easy to dig out, robust, a body-on-frame vehicle, a true vehicle, not a uni-body that folds like a cheap lawn chair towing any substantial weight. ::)

I found an amazing deal at my closest Toyota dealer, I'd purchased many new cars from them over the years.

I purchased a 2002 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 with the 5VZ-FE V6 gasoline engine.  Everything worked on the car, from moonroof to A/C, rear window, all window switches, I was impressed with the condition of the exterior, interior, there wasn't anything that concerned me.  Engine purred beautifully, with no blow-by, transmission shifted smooth and direct.  The only issue I saw was I'd have to remedy one of the dumbest ideas Toyota could've made wrt to transmission line routing to the radiator.  :patch:  What were they thinking????  :patch: :patch: :patch:  :dousing:

Within a week, BEFORE I could get the poor design fixed, the exact thing happened that plagues these Toyota's, the transmission went out of it  :imaposer:  because of Toyota's insanely poor engineering for northern climate vehicles.

More on this later.

I paid for a local trans shop to rebuild my trans with better than Toyota OEM parts, rebuild my trans pump with all the new and improved updates to Aisin's original design. rebuild my transfer case with new bearings and seals and anything else needed.  Along with the most important modification of all for northern climate cars, an auxiliary trans cooler mounted in front of the A/C condenser, with the trans lines running directly to the auxiliary cooler and bypassing the radiator, fixing Toyota's incredibly poor engineering and design  :xxbah: permanently  ;)

I was also experiencing issues with the vehicle engaging and disengaging 4wd, I decided to replace all transfer switches, as they get sticky from not cycling your 4x4 system once per month, from 2wd to 4wd to 4wd lo a few times.  This is a must on vehicles with transfer switches.  If you never use 4wd, oil cokes on the bores of the switches and they stick.

I also sourced a front differential from a same year 4runner with only 45,000 miles on it, without the expensive to replace electronic actuator. 

I sourced the expensive actuator online from a Toyota warehouse here in America for 50% off list price.

I sourced a new Toyota OEM front driveshaft.

I had a complete tune-up performed, new brakes, rotors, wheel bearings, Bilstein shocks, new springs, I'm forgetting numerous things I'm sure.

I drove the vehicle for about 3 years, abusing the damn thing, getting it buried, always talking shit to the Jeep boys also working in the industry.  I was one of the very few guys driving an import.  In all honesty, the Jeeps, with their locking front diff and electronically removable sway bars at the push of a button, go a little further than the open front diff Toyota, but I prefer the much better handling 4Runner on road versus the more agricultural feeling Wranglers.

When oil nosedived, I brought the old girl back with me to da Mitten.  I used it as my daily driver, keeping my other vehicles garaged and polished.

Then, my sisters car finally died, an old GMC Jimmy with 370,000 miles on it (595,000km).

So, I did what any brother does for his older sister, I gave her my beloved and trustworthy Toyota, for free.

She drove it for approximately 60,000 miles, she had just installed a new timing belt and a new and improved designed water pump (Toyota's OEM water pump weeps anti-freeze), new tires, and another tune up with plugs and wires.

Then, she was merging on a busy highway, slammed the accelerator to the floor, as if she's in a Vette  ::) , redlines the tired old motor with 240,000 miles (386,000km), and then

BOOM

Con-rod through the oil sump and onto the asphalt, oil everywhere, she's stuck in the middle of the highway in the middle of rush hour  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Way to go sis, way to run the piss out of that old motor  ::). She's a lead foot  :imaposer:

So, she has it towed to her work, where a short time later it was backed into by a Toyota Prius  :imaposer:

Door and rocker panel dented all to hell  :dousing:

I went and looked at the old girl at my sisters home 2 days ago, she pulled at me heartstrings watching her sit there rotting away.  :'(

I'm considering doing something about it.

Although I've not ever rebuilt an automobile engine before, just motorcycles and snowmobiles, I think I kin do it.

If you's help me along the way, I think I can pull it off?  The old girl has a lot of sentimental value to me.  There's a lot of life left in her with a new heart.

Interested?

I'm weighing my options, I can buy a rebuilt dressed long-block, long-block, or short block.

I have one of the best engine gurus near me that will do any required machining, head, block, lap valves, etc., for very reasonable prices, so I could, with a service manual and your help, pull the motor, disassemble, and rebuild much much cheaper than buying a rebuilt motor, but with added stress of doing all the work.

What would you do?   https://www.yotashop.com/toyota-3-4l-5vz-fe-v6/

Rebuild or buy a rebuilt dressed LB, LB, or SB?

I'll attempt to add a poll.