Hellshoogte and Pniel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droffarc

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda NC750X
Just some pics of my little Stellenbosch Pniel visit this morning.
I started off just going to see something in Stellenbosch, took a detour to Jonkershoek and then was tempted by memories to see the OLD Helshoogte pass again. This was one of the first areas I explored way back and I was filled with nostalgia while listening to Eroica on the ipod.

The pass has now been opened to two wheel transport and it is lovely although it was better when it was closed to casual visitors - the road has been cleaned up and no longer has that derelict feel. (Sorry only cellphone camara with me).  ::)

hhpniellg9.jpg

The signboard at the Pniel end.

hhpniel1ok1.jpg

A view of the new pass road with Stellenbosch in the background

hhpniel2sp9.jpg

My vantage point, an interesting little road.

hhpniel3dz4.jpg

Road down to the dam

hhpniel5ga5.jpg

A view of Stellenbosch

hhpniel6tk2.jpg

The OLD road

hhpniel7ct3.jpg

Irresistable to me - the dam

hhpniel8rg6.jpg

hhpniel9qu2.jpg

Gonna go swimming there soown

Then I went on to Pniel, where one normally just rides on through, I took the backroad

hhpniel10oc5.jpg

hhpniel11rz3.jpg

Then I headed home for Pizza, but when I stopped at the Simondium school to turn up the volume on the ipod, listening to Albeniz being played on the harp by Zabaletta, I was passed by a pair of beemers who had probably been riding the van der stel pass. I caught up with them at the butterfly farm and we zoomed along the N1 together.  :blob10: :blob3: :blob5:

Droff

Do you mind if I give you a good uitkak?

Its extremely unfair that you use a shitty cellphone camera to take your pics. You are a  master "hidden paadjie finder" and yet, the pics......nei man! ;D

Thanks Droffie.  I knew nothing about that old pass.  Something to find as is the road behind Pniel.

Hey, cool, droff!

Where are the turn-offs for this old pass (SBosch and Franshoek sides)? Can you follow the old pass all the way, or do you have to get back on the new one from time to time?

Thanks!

Ag Jama Ama - the intention was not to do anything in particular but I was seduced by the RIDE SIDE and all I had with me was my celly phone - nex time I wont take pics - I will just describe the places in braille nogal 8)
so much for the 8k@k, now for the uitkyk....

If you know where the OLD pass began in SBosch - it is still there, if you did not then take the new road but at the last robot - (if there are no more robots turn back like I did or as I did take a shortcut over the pavement) to the left and follow the road till you find the gate. On the right is a gap for tweelers. You can follow the old tarred road all the way till it ends by the sighn where the road is obstructed when the roads department negligently left some concrete barriers on the Pniel side.

The dirt roads are a) on the  upper side on the right - old forrest road - careful corroded in some places.
                              b) on th elower - dam side on the left first turnoff cannot miss it.

The Pniel back road coming from S'bosch go thru Pniel. (Alternative go right down to the river but it is all tar and suburban) just after the school take a short right then a left onto the dirt. Careful quite sandy in places but YOU Can do it - you're a growweblaar.

Have fnu, erm unf erm ag man just enjoy it :D

Cool, baie dankie :D

En natuurlik moet mens ook altyd in jou agterkop hou dat jy hier te doen het met die belangrikste "n" in die Boland ;D

droffarc said:
The Pniel back road coming from S'bosch go thru Pniel. (Alternative go right down to the river but it is all tar and suburban) just after the school take a short right then a left onto the dirt. Careful quite sandy in places ...

Hope you find it MuttsNutts