Help needed from the BMW and KTM crowd/ knowledgeable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Good day, I must ask, surely it was asked before, but still struggling getting info for my decision? Just some back ground on me as person. I live and work on a farm and would love to get away from it some weekends, just getting the headspace right again. No destination only a journey. I am about 1.9 and way more than should but call it 110kg. Money is not unlimited, and budget is firm. Have lined up 3 options at the top of my budget.

Option 1
BMW 1150 GS - 2005 - 52 000km - Rusted fuel tank, was standing in storage for couple of years, service rust under paint coating as a vehicle at the ocean tends to develop, tires are OK but valve stems need replacement (Perished) Electrical faults like horn not working, info gauges not working , main beam on headlight not working. Drives good, but id stutter ones on test drive. Overall in pretty decent condition, with panniers.

OR Option 2
BMW GS 1200 A - 2008 - 119 000km - have not driven yet -pictures look good condition , tires suspect from pictures, soft bags across seat , top box

OR Option 3
KTM 950 - 2006 - 55 000km - Same as 1200 have not seen only pictures - looks pretty decent , rear tire looks suspect , top box

OK so all 3 is pretty same price range, looks like all 3 will need a service on sale, will go drive both the last bikes hopefully this weekend. Will definitely take somebody with to help look at bikes.
I will use the bike 70% tar road and 30% gravel road. No off-road at this stage will first get comfortable in the seat again after 10 years of not riding, 1 up no 2 up at this stage.

So my question is:
1. Do I just plain walk away from 1150 due to rust and electrical problems?
2. If 1200 and 950 is in same condition which do I choose?

I know you get KTM riders and BMW riders. I am not married to a brand at all, ever. I need the most comfortable bike on long trips (100 - 400km) a day if and when I take the open road and reliability is a must. I can swing my own spanner and do a lot of the work myself, BUT I am no bike expert at this stage.

Thank you and all banter and help is appreciated!