Hi folks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grego

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum.
I've owned a 1982 Honda XR500R for nearly 3 years now. I bought it for R7000 and have spent about R1000 on minor repairs so far. Its old and noisy but hardly smokes and only leaks about 200ml of oil a week  :D  I work in Hout Bay and stay on a mountain... the access road to the house is a 3km rough dirt/sand/rock road so my bike is my daily commute to work and back.
it always starts within the first 3 kicks and runs really smoothly.

I'm basically gonna ride it and fix things as they go wrong... i'm hoping to eventually get is fully restored and onto the road so i can use it even more.
I've already fitted some road kit but so far only the headlight and tail/brake light work. I'm an electro-mechanical engineer so i'm busy designing a full LED lighting system that can run off the existing 6V 50W coil. i barely ever ride at night so it won't be super bright but still enough to see where you're going.

I'll be needing advice as i go about fixing things so i'll check back regularly and keep you posted on my progress (its going to be a long term thing).

Great forum!

Cheers,
Greg