How snugly should riding pants fit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gawitz

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I bought my first ever riding pants yesterday (BMW City Pants which are synthetic). When I was fitting different sizes, I finally choose the more comfortable M, which I usually wear, instead of the pretty tightly fitting S (which wouldn't allow me to gain much extra weight ;)). I was asking from the sales assistant are there any rules about the fit, but she didn't give me any strong points either way.

Well, now at home I was thinking that if I fall, with more loose clothing, the protective parts actually move more than if I would have chosen the smaller size. So I'm not sure if I made the right decision or not... For example, if I try to turn the legs part from different sides with the current pants, the protective part clearly moves and although it still covers the central part of the knee, the sides may become exposed.

Any advice, how much protective parts should move? If I made a wrong choice, I could probably still change the pants to a smaller size.