How soon is too soon? To be in SA, that is.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
Hey Dogs

Looks as though I am going to be able to swing flying my GS down your way next year (assuming the sale of my business goes though :deal:)

My plan is to start in Cape Town and head north to Namibia over the first three weeks or so, then head east through the Caprivi to Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, then hopefully up to Uganda (and Rwanda?)and then down to Botswana, maybe Zim then back into SA so I can have another tilt at the Sani and back to Cape Town, all in about 4 months.  Nothing is set in concrete itinerary-wise, but that's the general idea.

I've travelled to southern Africa biking four times now, always around November through to January and have been pretty lucky with the weather (apart from the mud on the Sani- FAIL)  but this time I want to be in Cape Town early April.  Is this too soon for decent riding conditions- I don't want to be slogging through mud, day after day, and should road conditions further east be OK by then, or is there still a lot of rain falling?

I've watched the weather this year and it seems pretty dry in the Western Cape in April and up into Nam, but is it going to be crap the further east I go?  Seems like the late afternoon deluge might still be happening in May/June.

All comments welcome!

3D

Happy days, eh?

352.jpg