Howzit - 1200GS Adventure LC rider heading for SA…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedZed

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hello Wild Dog Members,

Just introducing myself as a new member and this is my first post.

I should hopefully be arriving in Cape Town in the second half of October 2021 along with my BMW R1200GS Adventure 2016 LC from the UK. My plan is to keep my GSA south of the equator for a period of 12 months under a carnet de passage, however I will return to the UK in between and make 2-3 trips within that period. I am in my late 50’s and have recently retired, so want to do some traveling on my GSA while I am still ugly and fit enough to do so, lol.

My mother was South African (her families arrived in SA circa 1820 from UK and Sweden) and my father was english.

I have been back to SA and Namibia 5 times in the 10 years prior to Covid, which included driving around Namibia/Botswana a couple of times in a Ford Ranger. I have always wanted to do it on a motorbike. I have had a fair bit of desert riding experience in the Middle East on both KTM and Yamaha enduro bikes, however I appreciate the GSA is a different beast.

Anyway, it looks like my planned trip is going to happen and this website comes highly recommended. I will be posting a few questions over the next few weeks and there is no substitute for local experience and knowledge, your support and advice will be very much appreciated to my queries.