IF I was to sell my GS1200 for a smaller bike what should I get ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rynet

Grey Hound
WD Vendor
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I love my GS1200.  In most respects it has been a perfect machine for me.  But as I am doing more off-road lately it makes sense to get a smaller bike, mainly because I can't pick up my own bike . And it does like to fall , especially in thick sand . And it likes to get stuck in sand when I try and pull away.  Admittedly if I was more experienced this would not happen so often !  And I really hate spoiling other people's fun by them having to push my tractor out of thick sand or pick it up.

And of course a smaller bike would make more sense in technical terrain . As Michiel said in " Dans met Dusty se rooi rok " referring to riding the GS1200 at Atlantis sand dunes : "To ride heavy DS bikes in this sort of unusual terrain is like getting f***ed up the arse. If you're into that sort of thing it can be really pleasurable, thrilling and rewarding but if you're not it will be extremely painful, awkward and unpleasant."

hehe I love this quote because it so accurately describes riding a big bike in heavy technical terrain, like thick sand , for me ,especially with me not being very strong . There are guys who ride the GS1200 well in technical terrain , but I lack the skill , strength and stamina to do so.

I had a very good run with the GS1200 have done 83,000 km on it in 3 years , and not even been on a really long trip , the coming EC Bash will be the longest trip , but I think it is time it goes ....sadly ! I would hate to break up with him, but I think the time has come....

Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe a KLR ? As the KTM's 690 is awesome , but so expensive....

The bike must commute well , and be fairly comfortable, but mainly it must handle technical terrain well and I must be able to pick it up myself. Also the top speed must at least be 130 km /hr .  Oh and I must fit on it!  I am 6 foot tall ( i,82 cm ) and have long legs.