Impendle Pass to Himeville in the Snow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
Well... I've just returned from a most interesting solo trip from Nottingham Road, via Impendle to Himeville, then back via the Lower Lotheni road in the snow.
The idea was for me to go via the gravel roads on my CRF230, and meet up with SWAMBO and sisters, who had booked a chalet in Underberg. This went a bit pear-shaped, when she was told that there was no Eskom power, and thus should not go until power was back..... All fine and good.... but I was already on the way, enjoying a lekker solo ride, which also got VERY interesting, the further I got into the mountains ...
There was a lot of snow in the Midlands, and people came from far and wide to see this spectacle. However, a number of the 4x4 "enthusiasts" soon found out the hard way, that snow & icy roads are not to be treated lightly.... There were over ten vehicles stuck on various sections of the track, mainly having pulled over to the side to throw snowballs,etc., and then finding that their vehicles couldn't get out of the dips and ditches! Low -range se moer!....

I eventually had to ride in a single track with snow up to my knee height in places, and where the snow had hardened, and iced up, it became really hairy!
Despite my dislike of mud and running water on gravel roads, I soon learnt that this afforded better traction than the white stuff! I can't say if the black mud, or the snotty yellow stuf was better, but it took me 2,5 hours to do the 123- odd kays to Himeville!
Going down the steep pass into Impendle, was the scariest of all, because I couldn't touch the brakes, without going down, and the only way was to go in first gear, against compression, and open the throttle slightly, when you felt a slide coming on!
When I arrived at the Himeville Arms to wait for the girls, I got the message that they weren't coming, but going back to my cottage in Rosetta.... All fine and good, but I had the keys and remote! :eek:
This of course got them in a flat flap, and ordered me to come back. Cool I thought, I'll go back via the lower Lotheni road, after a beer, 'cos that road is shorter and more used. My thoughts being that it's used more, and ther wouldn't be so much snow on the road...... yeah right! :mwink:
Up to Lotheni, I was cruising happily between 60 to 75 kph, until the steep gradient towards Snow Top. (now I know why they call it that!!). The road was basically closed, and I followed the tracks of a tractor that had recently trundled up to tow more stuck Range Rovers and Landcruiser Station wagons out...... It was chaos! and the bike was the only thing that made it, with me paddling and roosting snow in all directions to get through! >:D
One convoy of 4x4's stopped and asked me about the condition of the road, whereupon I told them "it's interesting... if you want to see snow... you'll get it!"  (I hope they didn't end up sleeping in the mountains) :lol8:

All in all, a lekker little solo trip of 4,5 hours.... total distance of 230 kays, but what a joll!
Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me , so only took this crappy pic with my cellphone at the top of Impendle Pass.

Definitely and adventure to do again... but I'm glad I was on the 230, and not the heavy Transalp, ' cos I would have definitely fallen more than once with that!
The CRF230 is really the ideal machine for that type of work, and the Maxxis M6006 tyres were perfect for this type of terrain..
Cheers
Tommy.

Attachments

• Impendle Pass.jpg
    Impendle Pass.jpg
    23.4 KB
Tommy !! Is this the gravel road when you travel from Nottingham road on tar it turns into a gravel road and then winds it's way to Heimville with the turnoff to SANI on youre Right ??
:eek7:

PEET WEET said:
Tommy !! Is this the gravel road when you travel from Nottingham road on tar it turns into a gravel road and then winds it's way to Heimville with the turnoff to SANI on youre Right ??
Yup!.. That's the Lower Lotheni road.
The Impendle road you turn off towards Fort Nottingham and follow it until you get to the Dargle road... then turn right to Impendle.

Tommy Transalp said:
PEET WEET said:
Yup!.. That's the Lower Lotheni road.
The Impendle road you turn off towards Fort Nottingham and follow it until you get to the Dargle road... then turn right to Impendle.

Sorry for the stupid questions !!You see the reason I am asking is that we  plan to travel on that road with a Pajero trailering our 530's to go up Sani on the plastics,but the wives are a bit moerig because we always go alone so we decided to take them along and leave them and the 4 X 4 at SANI Hotel and then stil go up sani !!!  You think it will work or is the snow to deep  ??

Nice RR. 

We just came back from a 5 day trip using some of your routes.  As we speak, my husband is busy with the RR.  We thank you for sharing your routes with us.  It helped us a great deal.